Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Used Car

Geila
    Such great info on this thread! Thanks, everyone!

I realized yesterday that the stress of this project has gotten to me. My shoulder was pinched and painful for several days and I was not enjoying my days, which have been really lovely; all of my crape myrtle trees are beautiful and golden right now - late fall color. It seems lots of people are taking time off because there is traffic everywhere I go. So I'm taking a break from the car shopping and researching.

And I tell you, now I see why so many people just buy a new car! What a hassle this is. Incidentally, as soon as I decided to take a break my shoulder relaxed and the pain went away.

But if anyone has more advice or helpful tips, please feel free to share even if I'm on break from the shopping and research. This is all really interesting stuff.

Geila
    Oh, I do have a question for the group. I saw a car that looked like a good deal and then found out it was a rental. Would you buy a rental if the mileage and price were decent?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Would you buy a rental if the mileage and price were decent?
    Not unless it was a screamin' deal -- like way below market.

I see the ways many people don't properly care for the cars they're paying for over 48-60-72 months. A car in which they have no stake beyond the rental period? Not really interested in buying that.

Enjoy the break, Geila. Maybe releasing yourself (temporarily) from an outcome will bring the perfect car your way.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Oh, I do have a question for the group. I saw a car that looked like a good deal and then found out it was a rental. Would you buy a rental if the mileage and price were decent?
    I would buy a retired rental to save haggling and get a low-mileage, well-maintained car. I bought mine from Enterprise ten years ago, and would definitely do it again.

Geila
    Hey guys, I bought my car!

I was having a really hard time finding a decent used Honda civic (which was my preference after test driving the corolla) and then I saw that Mazda was having some really good year-end sales and went to check it out. I got a brand new Mazda 3 sedan for $15k (plus tax & registration). If I knew how to drive stick I could have gotten a hatchback for $14k.

I really like the car and the peace of mind is nice too.

Congrats! I think I rented a Mazda 3 once, and it was really nice! May you have many, many enjoyable miles in your new car!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That sounds like a great price!

Honda keeps adding more and more electronics which keep upping the price of the car.

I actually enjoy driving the Corolla more than the accord. But the Honda is more comfortable for long trips.

Great choice, enjoy!

Thread Information