Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a Used Car

Geila

Buying a Used Car

Well, my 24-yo car is finally starting to break down. My plan is to buy a used car. I've started looking around and I'm noticing lots of Ford Fiesta for sale for less than most other cars. Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with them. Or are they just a good deal?

The two cars I've owned have both been Honda Accord but I'm seeing that Honda and Toyota used cars are at a premium. The good deals that I see are 2014-2017: Ford Fiesta and Focus, Nissan Versa, Chevy Spark, Mitsubishi Mirage, and Volkswagen Jetta. Anyone have experience with any of these?

Stick to Honda or Toyota, or if you want to be a little on the riskier side, get a Nissan.

I have been driving my 2012 Nissan Versa hatchback since May 2013. I bought it new.

I have had to replace the battery once. No other big issues yet (fingers crossed!).

The hatchback is awesome, btw.

I looked up the Chevy Spark and boy that is enticing. I guess GM Korea, Daewoo makes it? it reminds me of my Yaris.
    What about a used Yaris? I have loved mine, had it 8 years with no problems at all, just a couple of recalls, and 700 dollar repair when my Great Pyrennees ate all the seat belts in the back seat.

On highways I get about 40 mpg.

Geila
    I found three Yaris and they look like good deals, but I've found that some dealerships post really good deals and then when you go in they're not available:

2016, 31K, $12,500
    2017, 46K, $12,000
    2017, 23K, $13,000

I'm also trying to figure out my parameters. If you were buying a used car that will get appx. 12k miles per year, what would you be looking for? My previous cars were bought from family members when they upgraded, so I don't have any experience picking out a good used car.

I read the OP's post wrong! I thought you were buying a car for your 24 year old kid!

We buy pre-certified cars from the dealer that are 3-4 years old. Right now we have a 10yo Toyota and 8yo Honda. Not one repair on either of them.

Geila
    TT - the cheapest Toyota and Honda I could find using your parameters was a $20,000 Honda Accord and a $15,000 Toyota Corolla. I was hoping to be in the $10K range for a used car. Maybe I'm being unrealistic.

Yes unrealistic. In 2013 I wanted a used Honda Accord for 10k and the dealer had one with a 100k miles on it. Instead we bought one for 16k with 34k miles. That price is before taxes, etc.

We love both cars. We use the Honda for trips and I drive the Corolla around town. I love that it is smaller.

Thread Information