Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA requiring me to spend more money

FAA requiring me to spend more money

Well I have to upgrade my transponder before 2020 if I want to fly within 30 miles of a large city or more than 3000’ over the Gulf of Mexico.

General Aviation is declining and mid air collisions are basically non existent, but this little gadget which will also broadcast my tail number is going to cost me between $3000-$5000 . But if I hurry and comply the faa will send me $500 to help out.

Gee thanks.

I feel much safer now.

What a rip-off!

Wouldn't this actually be a good thing to have, from a national security standpoint? Obviously, not you dmc, and too bad you have to pay so much. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Wouldn't this actually be a good thing to have, from a national security standpoint? Obviously, not you dmc, and too bad you have to pay so much. What am I missing?
    Radar is not going away. It’s not like you couldn’t turn it off by pulling a circuit breaker, or just not having it installed.

I wonder when they go to self driving cars if the government won’t start having something similar required. We can’t have the old self drivers running around without position reports.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I feel much safer now.
    The problem now is to many just look at their glass panels or iPads, and not out the window. I have traffic alerts now, but sometimes I’ll see a plane that doesn’t show up.

Williamsmith
    Seems rather generous of the FAA to distribute taxpayers money to the tune of possibly 50 million dollars in the form of a subsidy. The FAA says, “Quit squawkin’.”

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Seems rather generous of the FAA to distribute taxpayers money to the tune of possibly 50 million dollars in the form of a subsidy. The FAA says, “Quit squawkin’.”
    They are finding that many are choosing not to comply with the mandate. How would you feel if to use the interstate you had to add a several thousand dollar device to your car, something that does nothing for you.

im going to comply, it’s just another of many rules the faa requires that I don’t agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    They are finding that many are choosing not to comply with the mandate. How would you feel if to use the interstate you had to add a several thousand dollar device to your car, something that does nothing for you.

im going to comply, it’s just another of many rules the faa requires that I don’t agree with.
    I would hate that. It also sounds like it doesn't do anything for national security, either, if those intent on harm are just going to disable it.

Thread Information