Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you or are you not a minimalist?

Are you or are you not a minimalist?

Certainly there are many ways to live simply. One of those ways is "minimalism."

And over the past several days or so a few of the threads in here contained the terms minimalism or minimalist.

I am curious. Who on here identifies as minimalist and who doesn't? Explanations are encouraged.

Not.

obviously.

Not me. Attached to too much stuff for anyone to call me a minimalist.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Nope.
    I want my house to be comfortable, esthetically pleasing, and low maintenance (it's a work in progress.)
    I do have more clothes than I need, and I'm working on that (just gave away 5 big boxes, it's terrible!)
    For the most part, the stuff I have is well used - even if it's only that I like looking at it (art & stuff.) I could definitely clear out some sentimental stuff, but it's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about. I don't feel as though my possessions are holding me back in any way.

My DH is a little bit of a hoarder, so there's that too.

Do many minimalists own houses? A lot of my things are just for maintenance of house and garden. But, I do like owning my house

No.

No. Certainly not in the way you use the term. I am fairly intentional on what stays in my home (and why it is there in the first place), but there's way too much stuff to be "minimalist".

Wannabe minimalist. I drool over monk's quarters. I cried when my parents bought a second TV. My heroes are Thoreau and the Nearings.

What has kept me from walking that path myself--probably just a scatter-brained personality and a lack of commitment to letting go of things. I think you have to be focused to be aware when things are piling up and then be disciplined enough to get rid of things on a regular basis. Also, having lived in one house for 33 years, raising 4 kids doesn't help, and having a garage to stick all the old stuff doesn't help.

But I stuck to my resolve to bring stuff to Vermont on an "as needed" basis, and I have been successful there. All my clothes fit into about 18 inches of hanging space and two small drawers. I only brought up my "must have" books, which totaled maybe 7--I have tons of shelf space left. And I weigh the need for kitchen stuff scrupulously. I'm still not convinced I need a toaster, and I've made do with a skillet, one dutch oven, two saucepans, and one baking pan for cooking.

And when I lived out of a hotel room for 3 months with 2 kids, I did it happily with one small suitcase, so I know there's a minimalist inside me crying to come out.

I hired a videographer once who lived in a 500 sq ft apartment in Manhattan with his fiancee. I met him just when we had bought the Grand Isle house and I was worried about co-existing in a small space with DH. He said it was no problem for him, but he's ruthless. If his fiancee brings something in, they immediately get rid of something. He said he's very organized. Coats get hung up right away. Everything has its place. I think that's how you have to be.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Definitely not me. I enjoy having nice material possessions, but in recent years, I've become more mindful about their acquisition and retention.

I like to think I have the minimalist's mentally and am definitely working towards that lifestyle, but I will admit to having a long, long way to go. But I remain ever hopeful.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I like to think I have the minimalist's mentally and am definitely working towards that lifestyle, but I will admit to having a long, long way to go. But I remain ever hopeful.
    Well, I started minimalism in 2009. I did not reach "click-point" until 2014.

Thread Information