Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Are you or are you not a minimalist?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    A couple quotes about minimalism:
    Minimalism isn't just about having less stuff, it is also about having a clear mind and a balanced life. Vanessa Webb
    Minimalism isn't about removing things that you love, it is about removing things that distract you from things that you love. Joshua Becker
    I agree with both of these and I practice minimalism along these lines.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    UL doesn't seem balanced by himself (hence needing to seek a life partner), and I am not sure about a clear mind.
    That is nice of you to say. Thanks!
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

...I don't agree that minimalism is necessarily a martyred life to the minimalist cause, or minimalism for the sake of minimalism (which UL may be guilty of).
    What makes you think of may be guilty of that?
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

[QUOTE=early morning;316676]Those are great quotes, tms. I like stuff. Mostly OLD stuff. I am not a minimalist, and I'm not going to apologize for it.

Who is asking you to apologize? Could it be that you are committing civil disobedience against a law that does not exist?

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    I know several self-proclaimed minimalists and to me, personally, their homes are bleak and ugly, and I think it's pretty stupid that when I'm invited in for coffee, I get a Styrofoam cup because they only own two mugs.
    I don't know a single minimalist who does this.

A stack of single-use Styrofoam has the same spacial footprint as a 25 cent yard sale mug....and the mug is much less environmentally harmful.
    Every minimalist I know would agree with you on this point.

My "stuff" does not distract me from what I love, it connects me to it even more firmly.
    Then I strongly suggest you keep your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

In citing (inciting, apparently ) the hair shirt, I was referring to people that make a fetish of their sacrifice/holiness/rejection of culture, et cetera...
    How is calling/comparing someone to a hairshirt wearer or a fetishist not being judgmental? Could you be spouting off your own form of elitism? Seriously asking...

What you call a fetish or hairshirting might be someone's fun hobby or path to spiritual enlightenment/transcendence, isn't that very possible? Why dump on it?

I indirectly know an ultra-endurance athlete. She meticulously tracks her strides, her calories, her fluid intake, etc.

Could this be some lifestyle fetish? Perhaps. Or it could be the hobby she loves, the hobby that thrills her. Right?

Some people enjoy curating their stamp collection. Some people like rearranging those little ceramic figurines. Im not sure if a minimalist is curating all their stuff or all the stuff they dont have. Im not sure if they do it for esthetic reasons, high principle or necessity. But if they dont judge my garage, I wont judge their artfully empty spaces.

Its one of those life is too short things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    What makes you think of may be guilty of that?
    Well, let me throw it back atcha.

Why are you a minimalist?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com