Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Are you or are you not a minimalist?

I am a minimalist.

UL, I have thought that for years but for some reason her and boyfriend won’t move. I even left my elderly mother once my dad died and she encouraged us to do so. I really don’t get it.

Late to the party, but feeling a need to chime in - newgig, from one hoarder to another - welcome.

Ultralight, of course we can control it. It’s just very very hard. Like controlling your food intake.

i am ok with “crazy” I personally feel like most people have their own particular brand of crazy. My behavior is often insane, but I feel like applying the label to a person denies any moments of lucidity.

struggles with executive function make it difficult to manage one’s life. OTOH, looking at my family, home, job, and lifestyle, I seem to have managed mine better than most. It helps that I was dealt a good hand to play.

you can also add me to the column of those in the helping professions who think a high percentage is manure flung wildly by incompetent labor. Seeing how they make the sausage can quickly turn you vegetarian (says the vegetarian goat and chicken lady)

Quote Originally Posted by artist View Post
    I am a minimalist.
    Do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Late to the party, but feeling a need to chime in - newgig, from one hoarder to another - welcome.

Ultralight, of course we can control it. It’s just very very hard. Like controlling your food intake.

i am ok with “crazy” I personally feel like most people have their own particular brand of crazy. My behavior is often insane, but I feel like applying the label to a person denies any moments of lucidity.

struggles with executive function make it difficult to manage one’s life. OTOH, looking at my family, home, job, and lifestyle, I seem to have managed mine better than most. It helps that I was dealt a good hand to play.

you can also add me to the column of those in the helping professions who think a high percentage is manure flung wildly by incompetent labor. Seeing how they make the sausage can quickly turn you vegetarian (says the vegetarian goat and chicken lady)
    I am not so sure I can control my food intake.

Sometimes you want pancakes and you don’t eat them.

sometimes you have to put yourself where there is no food available.

sometimes you backslide.

that is control - imperfect control, but control. Lack of control would be eating as much as you want, of whatever you want, whenever you want it.

the hoarding is similar.

Exactly! What a great analogy!

I never said I was resigned to or accepting of my hoarding, just that I know why it’s part of my life. I also never said the panic attacks which stopped me for decades were something I approached as: “Oh well, it’s part of my nature, I’ll live with it.”

Some days I do better than others.

Unknown to me several things had to happen first: I had to have the PTSD diagnosed (age 45). I had to do the trauma work and I had to finish the memoir. I am doing it, albeit slowly. Slowly because after many, many tries I’ve found if I charge ahead, I get the panic attacks again.

i don’t know if this attempt will work any better than the 1001 previous attempts, all I can do is try.

Thread Information