Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you or are you not a minimalist?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Definitely not me. I enjoy having nice material possessions, but in recent years, I've become more mindful about their acquisition and retention.
    That just about covers it for me as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am. Husband is not although he lives more lightly than most Americans. Anyone visiting us would think we have a neatly kept, practical, almost sparse, but comfortable home. But about 80% of our stuff is actually his stuff.

No. As I've declared before--plenty of time to be a minimalist when I'm carted off to the home for the feeble and feeble minded.

This is a material world, and I take full advantage of that--so, many pairs of shoes and no hair shirt.

I do minimize situations that "spark annoyance" (love that!) like work, chores, and most people.

No I love the stuff I have chosen to keep. In the last 10 years I have gotten rid of tons of stuff. I have reduced what I think is necessary for instance I only have 2 sets of sheets for each bed. In the past I probably had 4. I have really downsized the nic-naks so dusting is fast. I have gotten rid of all my collections. A friend of mine was over last night and wanted to do the same. I told her to give her collections to fundraising when they are looking for silent auction items. She really liked that idea.

I'm about as minimal as I have ever been because I have to be, living in such a small space. I purge items that are no longer useful to me - this morning on my daily walk I am going to take a man's thrift store white button down shirt that I used as a costume piece in our latest production and two pairs of socks that annoy me up to our town's "Free Box" to donate. I have gotten my wardrobe down to what I really like,that actually fit well and then make a point of wearing everything. I have to have enough things to wear because I only do laundry about every 2.5 to 3 weeks and have to drive all the way into Santa Fe to do it at the laundromat. But everything fits on one of those cheapo garment racks I have set up at the foot of my bed and into some wooden shelves I use for storing clothing. My boots and shoes goes there as well. Summer stuff I put in a bin stored underneath the bed. My coats and jackets that I actively wear hangs on hooks on the back of the door, along with some scarves and winter hats.

I have minimized the dusting. Lol!

the studio where I take classes is participating in a program that lets kids who are in shelter/transitional housing/section 8 “shop” for Christmas gifts for their parents. Because it’s a pottery studio, we are collecting lots of mugs and vases, but we can donate anything, so I am going to sort through my costume jewelry and collection of little gift boxes.

no, I see the advantage, it makes moving easier mostly, and maybe tidying and finding stuff. I like some of my stuff but mostly it's not even that.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    No. As I've declared before--plenty of time to be a minimalist when I'm carted off to the home for the feeble and feeble minded.

This is a material world, and I take full advantage of that--so, many pairs of shoes and no hair shirt.

I do minimize situations that "spark annoyance" (love that!) like work, chores, and most people.
    Thou doth protest too much. Could you perhaps have hoarding problem? It is one of those vices that is quite easily disguised as a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I am. Husband is not although he lives more lightly than most Americans. Anyone visiting us would think we have a neatly kept, practical, almost sparse, but comfortable home. But about 80% of our stuff is actually his stuff.

Wow! So 20 percent of the household items are yours. I am imagining you being quite minimalist!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Thou doth protest too much. Could you perhaps have hoarding problem? It is one of those vices that is quite easily disguised as a virtue.
    I'm not protesting. I'm answering your question--which I should have probably learned not to do by now, as your questions aren't due to interest, but only serve as openings for the usual BDSM.

I do hoard certain things, like art supplies, and I'm fine with that.

Thread Information