Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you or are you not a minimalist?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm not protesting. I'm answering your question--which I should have probably learned not to do by now, as your questions aren't due to interest, but only serve as openings for the usual BDSM.
    Oooookay, Jane. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Do many minimalists own houses? A lot of my things are just for maintenance of house and garden. But, I do like owning my house
    It varies greatly! Joshua Becker owns a very normal house in a suburb of Phoenix. He has a wife and two kids. He is one of the foremost authorities on Minimalism.

This documentary shows the incredible diversity of minimalist lifestyles. Becker plays a big part in this documentary.

Leo Babauta is another minimalist forerunner. He has a wife and six kids! He is the only member of the household who is a minimalist. He is also in the documentary. But I think he lives in a townhouse.

Watch me respond to your comments with the same level of snark and tone you did.

No. As I've declared before--plenty of time to be a minimalist when I'm carted off to the home for the feeble and feeble minded.
    That must be your own personal hell -- to be forcibly separated from the stuff from which you must glean meaning and some hollow emotional "fulfillment?"

For your sake, I hope that is not any time soon!

This is a material world, and I take full advantage of that--so, many pairs of shoes and no hair shirt.
    Well, it was a more natural world. But all the extraneous shoes and other pointless stuff turned much of this planet into a cesspool of waste and pollution. Good job, Jane! Revel in the cesspool!

I do minimize situations that "spark annoyance" (love that!) like work, chores, and most people.
    Clinging to material possessions can often be one of the final refuges of a person who cannot connect to others mentally or emotionally. Perhaps seeing a therapist would help.

And now go back and read the responses of others and my responses to them. See the difference.
    Here is where you say: "Point taken, point understood."

I disagree UL. Just because Jane likes her stuff doesn’t mean she can’t relate to people or needs therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I disagree UL. Just because Jane likes her stuff doesn’t mean she can’t relate to people or needs therapy.
    I know that. haha
    Did you read my explanation above?

Just because I don't like stuff and I am an extreme minimalist does not mean I am into "hair shirts."

She tried to create a false dichotomy between Hair shirting OR hundreds of pairs of shoes.

There are many paths to and within minimalism.

Do you disagree or agree with another of my other statements in that post? Any of hers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Thou doth protest too much. Could you perhaps have hoarding problem? It is one of those vices that is quite easily disguised as a virtue.
    What you view as a problem could be right sized for someone else. Your coming across as "better then" again.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Oh Lord. I skip most of UL's posts, so I missed this. Par for the course.

I'm definitely not a minimalist. I have a box with 20 years worth of every computer cable I've ever owned to prove it. And just this week two of them are seeing use for the first time in probably a decade.

Hang on UL. I have heard you talk about throwing things away a just to not have them. Sometimes things that definitely had more potential use.

last week, I generated two tightly tied plastic grocery bags of garbage. This was generated by ALL food acquisition, health, and hygiene needs for two humans, 16 goats, 13 chickens, a rabbit, and a cat. Plus some minor construction and the packing tape and minimal other non recyclable side effects of ordering Christmas gifts for seven people by mail (less environmental impact than shopping in a store due to my location)

you are a single person with a dog. Do you generate less garbage than I do? Do you obtain all your items second hand a packaging free? I’m not sure what your trash output is, but i’m Also not sure you get to lecture people about their environmental impact - feel free to debate.

you are a single person with a dog. Do you generate less garbage than I do? Do you obtain all your items second hand a packaging free? I’m not sure what your trash output is, but i’m Also not sure you get to lecture people about their environmental impact - feel free to debate.
    i honestly don't think the environmental impact thrown in this thread was even sincere, it was just any stick to beat Jane with or something.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information