Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless at the library

For what it's worth, I often listen to police radio as background noise. Police are often called because people are using drugs in public bathrooms and they either refuse to leave or have passed out, making life difficult for other patrons. These are almost always restaurant bathrooms. Calls from the library are usually due to people standing on the steps outside screaming, or other disturbances.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    jp1 and some others here may, however, become library directors.
    Does that mean I get to read all the books first!?

IL as I understand your objection:
    it is ok to break the law if you are not bothering anyone.
    it is wrong to enforce laws against people who weren’t bothering anyone as a side effect of enforcing laws on people who were bothering other people.

paralell example:
    it is ok to run the red light if no one is coming the other way.
    It is wrong to post a police officer at a dangerous interesection because he might ticket someone who ran a red light when no one was coming the other way.

Bottom line, it is wrong to search someone for drugs without probable cause that they have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    IL as I understand your objection:
    it is ok to break the law if you are not bothering anyone.
    it is wrong to enforce laws against people who weren’t bothering anyone as a side effect of enforcing laws on people who were bothering other people.

paralell example:
    it is ok to run the red light if no one is coming the other way.
    It is wrong to post a police officer at a dangerous interesection because he might ticket someone who ran a red light when no one was coming the other way.
    No.

But you and I will not agree because each of us are emphasizing different parts of this issue, so
    I see no point in continuing to talk about it. It is a complex issue and reasonsble people may disagree.

Yes.

again, dog. If I am wrong about procedure and someone with a more in depth understanding of the use of patrol dogs would like to correct me, I will stand corrected.

And while officers are patrolling the library with their sniffer dogs, they can snag scofflaws for parking violations and other kinds of offenses! And maybe ICE can make sweeps of the stacks to root out refugees!

I'm not interested in living in any more of a police state than we already have, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And while officers are patrolling the library with their sniffer dogs, they can snag scofflaws for parking violations and other kinds of offenses! And maybe ICE can make sweeps of the stacks to root out refugees!

I'm not interested in living in any more of a police state than we already have, thanks.
    Many people sitting in the public library this afternoon have outstanding warrants. I say that because after having lived in this high crime city for decades, I have learned that is a fact of life here.

For several reasons, some more important than others, I dont advocate trolling the library using population for warrant jumping persons.

We could solve much of the homeless problem if we wanted to. We could start by using some of the money we spend on incarceration and wars. Or perhaps not give big tax breaks to the wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We could solve much of the homeless problem if we wanted to. We could start by using some of the money we spend on incarceration and wars. Or perhaps not give big tax breaks to the wealthy.
    True of so many of the nation's problems, IMO. Whatever happened to fixing our aging infrastructure? Oh, that's right--big tax cuts.

Thread Information