Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless at the library

What do you have against dogs? Human officers are ok? Canine officers with specialized skills relevant to one of the issues are not ok?

Here, we already have human police officers in our libraries. So yes, they do “waste” their time patrolling the library. And they wake people up (which I personally feel is unnecessary and also they target - if you are very young or very old and someone is with you, they let you sleep). And they remove disruptive patrons. I do not feel that “librarian” should be a high risk profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Indigenous people??? Or did you mean indigent people?
    First Nations individuals. That is the politically correct term now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The police aren’t going to waste their time patrolling library bathrooms. I don’t see that as a viable solution.
    They do here.

Well perhaps I am out of touch with the library world)

Maybe indignant people--that was me when people brought fast food into our library and left the mess for us to clean up, or the patrons--like one young woman--who felt entitled to cut articles out of the newspapers provided for everyone. Or the guy making cold calls (loudly) under a sign that clearly said "No Cell Phones." But I digress.

We did have some creep trying to molest a little girl in the women's bathroom, but I wasn't on duty at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    What do you have against dogs? Human officers are ok? Canine officers with specialized skills relevant to one of the issues are not ok?

Here, we already have human police officers in our libraries. So yes, they do “waste” their time patrolling the library. And they wake people up (which I personally feel is unnecessary and also they target - if you are very young or very old and someone is with you, they let you sleep). And they remove disruptive patrons. I do not feel that “librarian” should be a high risk profession.
    In my library, carrying illegal drugs is not a behavior problem that needs to be addressed. So, why hassle library users about that? They are minding their own busness and using library resources appropriately. I dont want our users disrupted for problems they are not creating. These are adults with the agency of adults. They are not children. Maybe drug sniffing dogs are common in schools, I dont know.

And I can barely imagine the hue and cry that would go up about police action like this.

Again, in my library, security is provided by public safety officers employed by the library. Some are off duty cops. None are k9 officers. That is a specialized officer and that would come only and directly from 3rd district police, and they would not do it. Not hapoening.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Maybe indignant people--that was me when people brought fast food into our library and left the mess for us to clean up, or the patrons--like one young woman--who felt entitled to cut articles out of the newspapers provided for everyone. Or the guy making cold calls (loudly) under a sign that clearly said "No Cell Phones." But I digress.

We did have some creep trying to molest a little girl in the women's bathroom, but I wasn't on duty at the time.
    Get with the times, Jane, everyone gets to eat and drink in the library now! well big city libraries. I noticed that in Hermann no one is allowed to bring food and drink, it is still a small quaint place.

Most libraries of size have had a molester pull a small child into the bathroom. Most library directors can tell you what year that happened even if it happened 30 years ago.

Iris lilies, I think maybe you have no experience with drug sniffing dogs. They are very polite. Far more polite than most leashed dogs you will pass on the sidewalk. They do not “hassle” or “disrupt” people unless they hit on a scent. I had a chance to participate in a demo with one, and he sniffed my purse from about a foot away and kept walking - even though my purse contained unwrapped dog treats normally used to reward him.

We do not have a school resource officer, but if we did, I would love it if (s)he had a canine partner.

Yppej
    No food or drink in my library, unless the library is selling food and drink as a fundraiser, then it is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Iris lilies, I think maybe you have no experience with drug sniffing dogs. They are very polite. Far more polite than most leashed dogs you will pass on the sidewalk. They do not “hassle” or “disrupt” people unless they hit on a scent. I had a chance to participate in a demo with one, and he sniffed my purse from about a foot away and kept walking - even though my purse contained unwrapped dog treats normally used to reward him.

We do not have a school resource officer, but if we did, I would love it if (s)he had a canine partner.
    OK, I’ll play. Tell me, chicken lady in your mind what is the purpose of identifying illegal drugs held in the pockets of someone who is studying at the library?

Thread Information