Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless at the library

That was a great article.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    That was a great article.
    It was a silly article.

I just want to be safe at the library. Period.

As a child, I was approached by a man who exposed himself in the stacks of our local library. Created a deep fear of strangers in stacks at libraries. In addition, husband was recently verbally attacked by a person at our local library to the extent that security offered to walk us home. I am afraid to go in the restrooms at our huge downtown library because they are located in the back of the elevators without anyone around. Darn, because they are nice and new and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I just want to be safe at the library. Period.

As a child, I was approached by a man who exposed himself in the stacks of our local library. Created a deep fear of strangers in stacks at libraries. In addition, husband was recently verbally attacked by a person at our local library to the extent that security offered to walk us home. I am afraid to go in the restrooms at our huge downtown library because they are located in the back of the elevators without anyone around. Darn, because they are nice and new and clean.
    I am really, really sorry about your childhood experiences and your recent experiences. You are not alone. After enough less-than-awesome experiences soon the users of traditional library services dont bother to come to the marble palace downtown because of fear or disgust or irritation with the environment. Those users tend to pay taxes and vote. And they tend to question why the library should have more of their hard earned dollars when their own pefectly reasonable expectations of safety and cleanliness are seemingly ignored.

Iris Lilies,
    i’m having A really hard time understanding your vision of how the library should be and how that should be achieved. And I want to. Can you clarify some details about who you think should get to use the library and and how, and how we achieve that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Iris Lilies,
    i’m having A really hard time understanding your vision of how the library should be and how that should be achieved. And I want to. Can you clarify some details about who you think should get to use the library and and how, and how we achieve that?
    I agree with any number of vision statements from large urban public libraries. This one is as good as any:“The St. Louis Public Library will provide learning resources and information services that support and improve individual, family and community life.”

no, I wont write out “details” because there are thousand of words I could write and I am not inclined to do that. I have other things to do. If this sounds rude, I dont intend it to be rude but neither am I going to spend my time educating you when you could educate youself.

I remember when homeless people didn’t hang out in libraries because we didn’t have any. That’s because we had mental health facilities.

Unless there is someone else on here who knows you intimately, the only source I have for educating myself about your beliefs and values is you. Attempting to do that in relation to libraries with what you have been posting is confusing me, but I apologize for asking for clarification. I will give up the attempt as unwelcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Unless there is someone else on here who knows you intimately, the only source I have for educating myself about your beliefs and values is you. Attempting to do that in relation to libraries with what you have been posting is confusing me, but I apologize for asking for clarification. I will give up the attempt as unwelcome.
    Yes, thanks. I know you are sincere and you are not intending a contentuous discusion, but yeah, too much typing on my part doesnt interest me,

Further to my earlier comment regarding Durango, CO, I may have been mistaken about the camping area providing storage for tents as they are taken down every morning. I gather that the current policy in Durango is that tents, sleeping bags, tarps, etc. must be carried away by the occupant.

The linked source "Westword" drew on a publication of the ACLU Colorado, which takes an adversarial stand in advocating for people experiencing homelessness. I don't have a link to anything from the position of the City Manager and City Council. But I believe there will be hearings in Durango, and the Council will consider changes to the bylaws about sleeping in a public place... so any change is months away.

http://www.westword.com/news/aclu-of...eping-11058661

Within the article is a link to an ACLU-Colorado publication, A Year Without Sleep