Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless at the library

I really did not realize that the serious problems we are having with our big downtown library were all over. We now have reduced chairs in the big lobby, restrictions on use of tables and chairs by the coffee kiosk and an armed police presence in addition to the ordinary security guards. Even seems the computers are not used as much since there are now empty seats whenever I go.

We did have a knifing across the street and some belligerent customers in the library. I am sure the restrooms are problematic. I go quickly to get what I need and dont spend a lot of time in the library.

However a good thing is being done. I have seen a large desk area set up with volunteers to provide all kinds of assistance to those needing it. They had job postings, advice, sleeping bag type of things and some heavy clothes.

The city police patrol the inside of the public library in the nearest bit city to us. There is something wrong with that picture. Our problem isn't homeless but indigenous people.

Yppej
    Indigenous people??? Or did you mean indigent people?

LOL, All I can think is the natives are getting restless.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    No, i wasn’t kidding, and no I don’t think that. I think if we can have “drug free schools” we should be able to have “drug free libraries” and if the drug dog sniffs the local judge or a librarian, search them too. Put a sign on the door letting people know the premises is monitored by dogs and let them make their own decisions. (And I have some librarian friends who smoke weed)
    “We” do not need or want drug free libraries, but if you want your local library to have dog patrols, go for it and work with your local Library Board. While you are at it, make it a gun free place. Oh wait, it probably IS that already, as is my library. Oddly that “No weapons” sign fails to keep out the shooting devices and knives; I just dont understand why people do not obey rules!

Anyway...

The carrying and use of drugs is not a special problem in my urban core downtown library in Murder City. The problem is behavioral problems by a variety of types of people. Drug culture might be part of that but I want to emphasize that it is only part of it. Mental health problems, cleanliness and personal grooming, hauling into the library crap tons of stuff, gang culture that results in fighting and vandalism—allthese are every day occurances. The first three are not the exclusive provence of homeless people.

The op listed “using drugs in the restroom” as a problem. I proposed a solution. Do you have another solution to that IL?

I can totally support safe use areas, treatment programs, and anti-dealing enforcement, but none of those will eliminate the library problem. The dogs probably won’t either, but they would be the easiest and most efficient of these options. Removing restrooms from the library would be 100% effective, but I can’t support that.

The police aren’t going to waste their time patrolling library bathrooms. I don’t see that as a viable solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    The op listed “using drugs in the restroom” as a problem. I proposed a solution. Do you have another solution to that IL?

I can totally support safe use areas, treatment programs, and anti-dealing enforcement, but none of those will eliminate the library problem. The dogs probably won’t either, but they would be the easiest and most efficient of these options. Removing restrooms from the library would be 100% effective, but I can’t support that.
    As I read the OP, a variety of poor behaviors are listed not just use of drugs in the bathrooms. There are many inappropriate behaviors that take place in library bathrooms including sex, sleeping, bathing, teeth brushing, changing clothes, washing clothing, hiding library materials, preparing lunch especially with hot water, etc. Grabbing small children and pulling them into bathrooms for nefarious reasons is a well publicized but seldom occuring event.

Regular patrols of Library security staff, sans dogs, of all public areas is effective. That includes bathrooms. By “public” areas I mean places open to the public, not staff-only areas.

it is the “dog” element of security here that is over the top and just a big NO. Reasonable security measures include watchful library staff.

Perhaps in the years ahead if the homelessness issue isn't seriously addressed, our libraries and parks will stop being used by tax paying citizens and will eventually cease to be funded. Virtual only?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Perhaps in the years ahead if the homelessness issue isn't seriously addressed, our libraries and parks will stop being used by tax paying citizens and will eventually cease to be funded. Virtual only?
    The marble palaces of learning built by the robber barons at the turn of the Century would be a great loss to the public

suburban library spaces in strip malls and their crappy coherts of cheap construction will be no loss.

Thread Information