Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless at the library

Doesn’t mean that the homeless have a right to make the library unpleasant for other people. I’ve seen bathrooms trashed, seating taken over by chairs pushed together for someone to sleep on, having to step around people sleeping on the floor, etc.

Dealing with stinky homeless people or use eBooks?

Some libraries have reported issues of bed bug infestations from homeless people.
    Last edited by Tradd; 12-8-18 at 2:00pm.

I guess this isn't really a problem out in the Burbs.

It wasn't an issue in our hometown but here it is a big and noticeable one. Here, anytime changes are suggested so that the general public can enjoy parks and libraries that homeless have claimed as their own, the ACLU steps in.

I don't' think anyone even bothers to step in anymore, the homeless problem is far beyond that. Although I don't know about libraries, parks get cleared of homeless, homeless camps are cleared, still a homeless camp just pops up somewhere else. There just are a lot of people without housing.
    Trees don't grow on money

I haven’t been in a library in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I haven’t been in a library in decades.
    Why not? I only tapered off when it became physically difficult.
    Our world-class library system (KCLS) is well-loved and well-used by all age groups.

Because I either buy books used or download library books to my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Because I either buy books used or download library books to my phone.
    That's what I do now, along with snagging cheap Kindle books that appeal to me, but I miss browsing, and the ambience of the library.

Social worker seems like a pretty good idea. Since libraries are a place of information and social workers provide information on resources available to help people it seems like a logical thing to have them there.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2016/03...ibrary/475740/

Homeless and those without a life action plan do use public facilities wherever possible. In our little town, a food court in a small mall was taken over by people just coming in the morning, smoking and sitting there for hours. Smoking was banned so some left. Eventually the sitting area was shut down, the problem moved to the library. People have been doing this forever. Look at pictures of the seniors sitting in parks all around Europe and socializing. People used to go to the local bars, order a beer and play checkers all day. The bar couldn't make money so eventually closed.
    The use of drugs has added a dimension that causes greater problems.

There are those who are unemployed but volunteer extensively helping the community in which they live.

With greater automation coming soon, the problems are going to get more serious. Those working won't be able to support a larger group of homeless or those without an active life plan. It is going to take some innovative thinking and planning.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information