Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positive reframe

Positive reframe

Okay mid day i saw an opportunity to positively reframe. I think there is a tendency to look at what we don't have or do rather than the positive side. So here is my reframe, i would love to hear from others as well, even if you are opposite of me!

Not eating meat = i eat according to my values and have no regrets, plus my food is super tasty

No drinking/smoking = i choose health and
    Being clear headed, and less behavior to regret

Good job ZG. As Mom was reaching her final year (not yet known to her), she said "Don't ever be angry about what you can't do. Be grateful for what you CAN do". Wise wise words.

I can, I can, I can

G, I love your mom’s attitude!

I’m not sure I really understand this.

Is it simply a semantics exercise - as in saying “I am honest” rather than “I don’t lie, cheat, or steal”

or or do you actually feel that not eating meat is a sacrifice or chafes at you in some way?

or do you feel that telling people that you don’t eat meat is a more negative thing than “I eat according to my values...”?
    as a listener, the second one actually sounds more judgey/preachy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    G, I love your mom’s attitude!
    She was still walking as she was dying of her cancer. 2 days before her last breath she walked across her home with her walker and said "that is enough for now". She lived it until she lost consciousness. Truly a wonderful role model.

My mom was tough too. She died just short of 90. 3 different bouts of cancer between 78-89. Us 3 kids took turns going home to help her. A week before she died she lived alone and fell. She was in a home for a week.

Who are you reframing for? Some people are positive (glass half full), some are negative (glass half empty), others realize the glass is completely full, half water, half air.

As usual, I'm confused. What, exactly is reframing? Who are you reframing for? What is the reason for it?

I thought "reframing" meant changing your view of potentially negative actions/situations to look at them in a healthier/more positive way. I'm guessing you've been positive about your avoidance of smoking, drinking, and meat-eating for some time. What has changed?

(For some reason, this thread has made me want to pour a slug of brandy into my coffee; I'll restrain myself. )

I assume the OP is reframing for herself.

Rather than “ugh, I am jonesing for a smoke” and feeling deprived, she is turning her thinking around to give herself rah rahs as in “ I am actively living a healthful life” to engender positive feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I assume the OP is reframing for herself.

Rather than “ugh, I am jonesing for a smoke” and feeling deprived, she is turning her thinking around to give herself rah rahs as in “ I am actively living a healthful life” to engender positive feelings.
    I didn't realize she was feeling deprived of any of those things, but maybe the attachment lingered. Thanks for your viewpoint.

Thread Information