Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It's true, I seem to be pretty busy for someone not productively employed. I certainly don't miss the alarm clock.
    You will be constantly busy with things that you enjoy. Retirement is great! We are four years into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It’s nice to catch up on all the projects you never had time for. Congrats!
    My wife had quite an extensive list. We are finishing up a fairly big renovation of an older house we bought in the new town. Hopefully within a month or two I will be able to devote more time to day drinking and philosophical inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My wife had quite an extensive list. We are finishing up a fairly big renovation of an older house we bought in the new town. Hopefully within a month or two I will be able to devote more time to day drinking and philosophical inquiry.
    The drinking hour has gone from 5 o’clock to easily 4 o’clock and once in a while 3 o’clock here in retirement. But I don’t have children for whom I have to set an example.

Every once in awhile, I chuck a jigger of brandy into my morning coffee-with-cream. Such decadence...

It is worth it! I did it on a pension of 60% but prepared to do so for a couple year prior. We paid off debts, eliminated balances on our credit cards and got rid of all but one major card (for emergencies ONLY). We set aside cash savings from no longer needed credit payments and purchased good quality tools to last us at least 20 yrs, preferably with care for longer. We then set a strict budget of what our retirement income would be and practiced living on less than that, setting surpluses aside in savings. If you have always been frugal, retiring is no biggie, it just lets you do more things frugal and hobbies more often (hunting, trapping, fishing & gardening are cheap for me, plus I freeze & can for the pantry). You also have time to seek out those senior citizen perks as you age into them....in my state over 65 gets FREE TUITION at state colleges (I was thrilled). If you have a hobby, get tools set up NOW so you don't have to pinch your budget later.
    I was also a little apprehensive about retiring on reduced income pension. But I am glad I did so, and encourage you to do so as well. You can return to the person you were (and still are inside) before work responsibilities changed your life.

Kappy, I partially agree but some of us want to travel and have experiences that cost money.
    Last edited by Teacher Terry; 6-1-19 at 2:24pm.

We did too - it took real effort to downsizle from three cars, 6 credit cards, and the immediate grafitication lifestyle we had - 3 years worth of effort - but we found new ways to have fun on the cheap.

We found that if we saved for things instead of buying them when we first wanted them we weeded out a lot of impulse buys that we later would have regretted; and focused our actual purchases on fewer, better thought out items, of better quality. Learning to discern the differences between "wants" and "needs" is critical...and NOT easy. Sometimes you don't like the differences much, either, but you adapt.

As far as travel, there are ways to do so on the cheap. Senior citizens often are privy to discounts that rival the student discounts that many traveled on in their earlier years. I'd rather spend the money in a new place down in the market rubbing elbows with real folks and staying in a hostel with students, instead of in a fancy hotel where all you meet are obsequious staffers (with their hands out, no less). First class travel is nice, but other seats still get you there. Potluck gatherings are so much more interesting than catered dinners. Classic clothes from the resale shop cover you as well as 600 dollar suits & dresses. A KIA gets you down the road the same as a Lexus. Time to re-focus.

Part of the downsizing is learning ways to enjoy life on less, and lowering your standards to an affordable level. Yes, it took us 3 years, but we were glad we did it. Life is a journey, enjoy the challenges!

We have always saved for what we wanted. We love cruises and Europe so I shop for deals and go off season. We book inside cabins on cruises. Potlucks are fun but we also love to eat out and no hostels for us. We have lots of festivals during the summer that we enjoy. We also have figured out where all the happy hour food is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We have always saved for what we wanted. We love cruises and Europe so I shop for deals and go off season. We book inside cabins on cruises. Potlucks are fun but we also love to eat out and no hostels for us. We have lots of festivals during the summer that we enjoy. We also have figured out where all the happy hour food is here.
    It sounds like you are on the way to downsizing...the biggest part is the mind set and willingness to search for the best deals. Keep going and you will love retirement. Just jump in!

We have been semi retired for 7 years and fully for a few months. I loved my job teaching a online college class but it ended. We have taken a lot of great trips. We are finished downsizing.

Thread Information