Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis 2040 to end Single Family Home Zoning

Overall housing density is a good thing from the perspective of providing infrastructure. It's far easier to put in one big sewer pipe (or pretty much any utility) on one block with 2,000 residents than it is to have to put in many smaller sewer lines to a whole neighborhood of 2,000 people.

As a lifelong city mouse, personally it sounds like Minneapolis is moving in a direction that appeals to me. If only the weather involved less snow... Perhaps over the next few years the weather will change enough that SO and I'd actually consider it as a retirement location. (historical weather patterns make it a big fat no for me.)

Alternately, maybe Minneapolis will copy Toronto in building an underground subway/shopping/city area. My daughter can enter this area directly from her apartment without going outside. It’s called “the path”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PATH_(Toronto)

I wonder how parking is going to work because more residents = a lot more cars. Otherwise I think it's a positive step towards more affordable housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Alternately, maybe Minneapolis will copy Toronto in building an underground subway/shopping/city area.
    That will never happen in Rosemary's (or my) lifetime. The costs of acquisition of right of way and construction would be a topic of City Council discussions for decades to come (already been the case for a highway extension and a light-rail spur here).

In addition, Minneapolis (and, to a lesser extent, Saint Paul) decided (decades ago) to go over ground with an extensive network of skyway bridges between buildings, typically connecting second floors. Human traffic only (no motors), but a fair amount of shopping and, for the braver building owners, benches and amenities like fountains and art galleries.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I know I would love Minneapolis. I have never been there, but lived 35 years in the Midwest and heard such wonderful things. Now we are in a Northern Michigan climate/snow built, I think I could handle it. JP1, you can adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I know I would love Minneapolis. I have never been there, but lived 35 years in the Midwest and heard such wonderful things. Now we are in a Northern Michigan climate/snow built, I think I could handle it. JP1, you can adapt.
    Twin Cities area lovely, boy can they grow some nice hostas and martagon lilies.

But that winter climate is tough. I will never live north of interstate 80 again.

I love the twin cities also. However, the weather makes Chicago feel like Florida).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

In addition, Minneapolis (and, to a lesser extent, Saint Paul) decided (decades ago) to go over ground with an extensive network of skyway bridges between buildings, typically connecting second floors. Human traffic only (no motors), but a fair amount of shopping and, for the braver building owners, benches and amenities like fountains and art galleries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    JP1, you can adapt.
    Maybe if I lived in a building connected to others via skybridges it wouldn't be too bad...

I went to graduate school up there. I was sitting in my car warming it up and was so cold I thought for a moment I had forgotten my coat. Nope it was on. It was-40. I bought a special coat to survive winter and I was used to the cold since I lived in Wisconsin at the time.

Sky bridges are nice. You get to see the sun.

Thread Information