Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Impending slew of crap—thread #2

This year I gave family members - fruit cake for those who enjoy it with alternative for those who don't, a joint family rechargeable spotlight that can flash when walking in the dark ( I love mine so got another for myself when they were 75% off for Black Friday), some socks and an alpaca scarf each which is wonderfully soft and warm. Simple and easy to mail.
    Keeping it simple works well.
    While I appreciate thoughtfulness, the pressure to respond to an unwanted gift at Christmas time is a pain.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thank you Razz for the idea of safety equipment. I am going to order Mom a 5 way power radio for those times she loses electricity. She loves her battery lamp that has come in handy many times and the radio would help connect her to weather and news.

I've been going back to edible gifts, like Starbucks cards or restaurant cards for adult kids and wives. Sent one brother maple syrup and pancake mix from Vermont Country Store, expensive and kind of coals to Newcastle, but don't know when I will see him, and don't want pressure to have to deliver a gift, and don't want to send nothing. Other one got Starbucks.

If you know they like pancakes and maple syrup, maple syrup is always a great bet because it has gotten so expensive. So some people won't buy it for themselves.

Bottles of wine are great gifts, too.

Tybee: I think bottles of wine are the best gifts, along with flowers and fine soaps. Now you all know what to get me, lol.
    I don't anticipate a slew of crap this year. We are only exchanging gifts with Sis and her SO/roommate, so if any crap is received, it will at least be minimal. We got them a gift certificate to a restaurant they like. I have a Calathea roseopicta 'Rosy', and my sister has been wanting one, so I divided mine and potted up one for her in a pretty pot I got for $5.00 at OSJL. I feel good about that gift, frugal, green and I know it's something she wants.
    We got all bird food items for Mom, no Stuff, since we are spending so much time cleaning Stuff out of her house. Buying more Stuff for her would be downright masochistic.
    I gave my usual amaryllises to people I give them to every year, after checking in to make sure they like them and want me to continue.
    I have envelopes for my hairdresser, the mail carrier, and the trash collectors.
    I am not happy about the Covid surge that caused postponement of the 1/2/22 party and Yankee Swap, but nothing wrong with appreciating the silver lining, is there? Actually, there was a group e-mail where the hostess asked what everyone thought about doing a swap. I said what I thought, and apparently that was a faux pas, but then why the hell not just say "there WILL be a Yankee Swap, but participation is not mandatory." (I had suggested that we use the monetary resources towards a group charitable donation instead). Anyway, that can just got kicked down the road a bit, so deferred impending crap, something to look forward to in the new year.
    Last edited by rosarugosa; 12-22-21 at 6:59am.

Our family did decide on Secret Santa and I can't believe how much stress it's taken off my shoulders! And also, I don't have to look forward to hours and hours of wrapping!

I pulled my eldest son to give a gift to, and he's really good at telling people what he would like, so he utilized the wish list feature on the online Secret Santa tool that I set up for people to draw names. He wanted a nice ratchet set and that's what I got him. DH is bought the grands a couple of toys each, and I'm buying them some clothes. I bought my brother an Amazon Echo Dot on sale at Amazon for only $29--he saw my previous generation Echo and he loved it.

I believe the family is happy with this new tradition.

I haven't bought DH anything yet, but will tomorrow or Thursday. I might even have time to bake cookies--the gang is coming up on Christmas Eve.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Cookies sounds wonderful! I bought DH a Powell's e-gift certificate which will arrive Christmas Eve. He'll be happy.

My sister-in-law brought me two gifts of really cheapo junk jewelry the other night (the green skin turning kind). I graciously accepted them because she works very hard and it was very sweet of her. BUT now the guilt. I will never wear these items unless I'm around her (which is infrequently). So, there they sit in my jewelry box.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

One of my Bearable gifts is now inching into the Unbearable category. Food, mostly disgusting.

But to balance that, one of the Unbearable gifts may be useful-ish. Jury still out.

When is enough for a teen? An adult? Interesting article.https://www.cbc.ca/parents/learning/...-for-christmas
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    When is enough for a teen? An adult? Interesting article.https://www.cbc.ca/parents/learning/...-for-christmas

that is cool about this teenager who wants nothing. I thought the most expensive and newest electronic Doohickey would always please them though, I think we are safe with that. But I understand he has all the clothes he needs and through digital mediums has all the entertainment and educational things he needs.

I do wonder about you Canadians and your love of Timmy Hortons. We had Tim two blocks from my house and he did not last long here. I didn’t get it, I thought it was …not good. Sorry!

Thread Information