Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Impending slew of crap—thread #2

I wanted to join a new local gardening meet up but their second meeting is for a Christmas party with a $10 gift exchange. Huh? I don't even know these folks so I guess I will skip the party.

IL, that is one pretty ugly picture--no offense to your friend.

I have been guilty of giving people wall art (just family--not friends), but I think that it's the worst gift you can give, because you invite a person over and they expect to see it hanging. What do you tell them if you didn't hang it up? If your friend doesn't go to your house, I'd bring it to Goodwill.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    dh is getting three months of trash service. With accessories.
    I love it. You know you're not in the metropolitan NY/NJ/CT area when you are giving gifts of trash service.

Having lived in Vermont this year, it seems like such a practical gift! We weighed getting trash service ($41/month for bi-weekly service) vs bringing it to the transfer station once a week ourselves.

We chose the DIY path. Our trash bill averages $3 a week, and the recycling is free. So not sure if I'd love trash service because I've come to like our Saturday morning routine and the guy who takes our three $1 bills, but it would certainly be a very relevant gift. Very nice, CL!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So yeah, it is only December 11 and I am DONE with the crap.

I belong to several organizations, and each one feels compelled to have a holiday event involving exchanges of physical objects. If I were going to a white elephant/Yankee swap event, this framed treasure I got in an exchange would be great:

Attachment 2618

But this was given to the group pile as a serious gift. I guess. It is probably the fragment of a great grandmother’s hand embroidered apron, but I aint keeping it.

To the right is a small tube of Burt’s Bee’s lotion, a useful item. I didnt show all of the stuff in the haul from this particular party, just the best and the worst.

This all comes at an especially bad time because I am cleaning out loads of crap feom our attic. I am in de-clutter mode in a major way and take these stupid objects as a personal affront. Not the most mentally healthy way to view them, I know. Just relax Iris. Ooooommmmm.....
    As I think about it, this picture, this framed fabric dress, may have been put into the pile by someone who thought we were doing a white elephant exchange. We did have some new people at the event and I have to say, in that viewpoint the thing is a brilliant white elephant gift!

Crap now I think I should go dig it out of the dumpster and save it for that time in the future when we do white elephant. It’s just that I don’t know how many years that will be because sometimes these group exchanges are made up of halfway decent things I don’t know, such a dilemma.

I hate that this season makes me waste my time thinking about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I wanted to join a new local gardening meet up but their second meeting is for a Christmas party with a $10 gift exchange. Huh? I don't even know these folks so I guess I will skip the party.
    ’cause we all need more $10 items.

go! Go to thebparty and just sit out the exchange with a smile on your face. Believe me when I say they would rather have you attend with no gift than not attend at all seriously.

At our garden guild event last week somebody brought one of those amaryllis bulbs incased in wax. It needs no watering and is in its own cheery container,a fail safe present for gardeners. I think that’s kind of cool.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-11-18 at 7:27pm.

It looked like that. I would probably have donated it.

There was a lift in there before we bought the place. If you open the door all the way, you can park a semi in there with the trailer on. (Well, you could if I cleaned it out)

don’t bother with my inlaws. I’ll skip the AAA story, but only disappointing adult children are stupid enough to waste money on AAA for their pregnant wife traveling cross country with two preschoolers. They missed my dd’s wedding because they refuse to ever turn their cell phones on or buy internet access when traveling internationally - and mil had an elderly father in care at the time. We have offered to pay for international calling for our own peace of mind. Apparently because we are stupid.

mil has a carefully thought out formula for exactly how much to spend on each family member based on age and degree of relation. She begins complaining about you in August if you have not handed in a suitable list. Your list must not only come out to the right amount of money, it must yield the correct (mystery) number of packages equal to the number of packages received by all others in your category. It is the number of packages that is important, not their content, so one person might get a package containing a shirt and a book, while (and this has happened) another person might get a package containing a candy bar. (I got the candy bar. I asked for one expensive thing)

last year I got a zoodle maker. My entire category got zoodle makers to help us eat more vegetables. As I am a vegetarian who eats vegetables and misses them when I am at her house, and as I own several knives, I donated the zoodle maker. This year I asked for a pastry cutter. That was my whole list. Dh suggested she pay for one of my classes.

This afternoon I played chauffeur to crap. I drove crap around the city to drop it off.

* I dropped off an old hat that I once liked, I mean 1940’s old, So I couldn’t just send that any place or to the dumpster. I dropped it off as a donation to one of the vintage clothing stores, and that donation included a large old fashioned round hat box from the 60s and a Chinese purse I never like to but was forced to get because someone gave us a gift certificate to an oddball place.

* I dropped off a brand new T-shirt never worn with tags on it that is a Christmas T-shirt, Mickry Mouse. Because it will appeal to thrift store people I wanted to get it to a thrift store for this Christmas season. It was one of the several gifts we got in the plant society prize pile.

*I dropped off documents at the post office, mailing them this year rather than waiting to see the recipients at meetings. It cost nine dollars but it was worth it because now I don’t have to try to remember to look for every recipient at one of these meetings in upcoming 12 months. Nine dollars is worth it to reduce the number of tasks at meetings.

IL, I am like you and prefer to get stuff off my plate. Sounds like you are making great progress.

IL, I showed that dress picture to two women here in my office. The Millennial laughed her head off, while simultaneously the Silent Gen woman remarked, "Isn't that gorgeous!"

ROFLMAO
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information