Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Impending slew of crap—thread #2

I rec'd one $40 Lowes gift card for the garden from son#1, son#2 gave nothing but he's a broke college kid and I don't need anything, my parents gave me cash. That's it so far. I expect maybe 2 more checks in the mail.
    We had maybe 5 little pieces of trash after opening gifts. Everything was wrapped in either fabric gift bags or tins we've used for years and everything was useful or gift cards. The one item that came in a large cardboard box I wrapped with a table cloth. That cardboard box will be used to mail stuff back to college for son#2.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I gave my husband a copper waterbottle and a second hand book about wildflower propogation. He gave me a sketchpad, a little cardinal, and a cookie cutter.

Happily, my dil loved the earrings I bought her at a farm fair this summer from a lady who makes them from washed up beach glass. I also gave them a set of their china that she started buying from the goodwill last year--found a complete set at our goodwill one day. It was horribly expensive to mail, but it is their new everyday china and she loves it. So that was a real win!

GD loved Madeleine, which was one of my favorites when I was little. So that was so fun, to share that with her. Oh, and I found a couple of novels that are my all time favorites at estate sales this summer and sent them to my son, so he gets to share that.

Other son's rescue pup ate the game I sent GS, so that was kind of a holiday low, but funny.

How lucky to find a complete set of china that she wanted! Funny about the dog.

My most useful gift was a package of nine pairs of black socks. I walk so much at my job that I wear holes in socks and was tired of mending them. Two other coworkers were hoping for new socks too.

I refuse to participate in gift exchanges because I know I'll get something I don't want. Plus I don't work directly with all of my coworkers on other shifts and don't know them well.

There's nothing wrong with regifting.

I re-gifted quite a few things this year and the recipients all seemed very please. I love finding homes for things that others will use but I will not.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I like “used” items, that isnt what I mean by regifting. There is nothing wrong, agreed, with passing on an item that you believe will give pleasure to someone else.

I bet that was what my aunt was thinking the Christmas she wrapped a handful of random perfume samples for me...

December 20, 2021

Time to complain, holiday edition.

So far, 4 gifts received.

2 are bearable.

2 are unbearable and just make me angry.

I don’t exchange gifts with these people, I don’t want gifts from these people. I resent having to open the things, deal with the extensive packaging, send acknowledgement, and of course find a way to get rid of the unbearable.

Bah, humbug.

We got three gifts. One was a bunch of handmade sweets. Gave Mom the cookies for her friends, threw out the bars and sadly ate the candy. It was not very good. I have no resistance. Brother sent me a corporate basket of wine and fairly crappy edibles. Threw out a lot and gave the wine away. Last was a large coffee table book on an artist who was just on Netflix and did cat art in the early 1900s. I have no coffee table. Sigh.

I’m impressed that someone who was doing art in the early 1900’s has the stamina to appear on Netflix!

Thread Information