Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Impending slew of crap—thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I got a book on Lake Erie shipwrecks and some tea. That’s it.

I did my 2nd year of photo cards featuring diving pics that were a massive hit with everyone. Did a lot of cards.
    Tradd,
    somewhat related: I thought of you this week when I watched the NOVA documentary on the rescue of the boys and their coach from the cave in Thailand. I know you're not a cave diver, but I was in awe of the professional divers and also the logistics required for the rescue. Especially since it was their monsoon season and with the waters rising in the cave, it was a minor miracle that they all got out. Would recommend it to everyone if they're interested, especially if you need a feel-good story.

DH bought me a book on Ireland with beautiful pictures because that will be our next trip in a year. He thought it would help us plan what to see. Did the white elephant gift game yesterday so each guest brought a gift for $10 or less and went home with one. I used 2 necklaces that a friend in another state gave me. People loved them and were stealing them. I made the main course and everyone brought something so not a ton of work. Really had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Tradd,
    somewhat related: I thought of you this week when I watched the NOVA documentary on the rescue of the boys and their coach from the cave in Thailand. I know you're not a cave diver, but I was in awe of the professional divers and also the logistics required for the rescue. Especially since it was their monsoon season and with the waters rising in the cave, it was a minor miracle that they all got out. Would recommend it to everyone if they're interested, especially if you need a feel-good story.
    I watched that online the day after it aired. It was awesome. I have friends who cave dive in Florida and Mexico. Not my idea of fun. It’s jokingly called “looking at wet rocks in the dark.”

The documentary should still be available on PBS’ website for those in the US.

Thankfully I didn't receive any crapola. I only received about 3 things, 2 from DD and 1 from sister. DH & I had agreed on no gifts---we did a wkend getaway instead.

Tradd: I almost spewed my tea at "looking at wet rocks in the dark." Ha! My take on it too.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

This year, we gave very minimal gifts because we're going on a trip in March. It was so freeing! Very stress-free season for me.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I got 4 gift cards: Starbucks, Lowes and Home Depot, and the local quilt shop! That translates to iced tea when I run errands for the next 3 months, plants to add to my landscaping, and a quilting class and materials! I am very pleased.

I went in on a cell phone for DGS2 (his brother paid the other half), a sort of expensive tee-shirt DGS1 really wanted, and batteries for DGS2's new drill. Gave my DD $100 cash because she didn't know what she wanted.

We have only given gifts off a list for the last 10 or so years. Gift bags and boxes are reused. Minimal packaging, no crap at all.

Over the years I have collected fabric with a Christmas theme that was highly discounted. This year, I had some awkward shaped presents so decided to make fabric sacs of all sizes to be tied with a ribbon from the Dollar Tree. If the present is very small, it does not get wrapped but put in the stocking as is. This has worked out quite well. I will simply launder the sacs and use again next year. Why did I not do this years ago?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Tradd: I almost spewed my tea at "looking at wet rocks in the dark." Ha! My take on it too.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Over the years I have collected fabric with a Christmas theme that was highly discounted. This year, I had some awkward shaped presents so decided to make fabric sacs of all sizes to be tied with a ribbon from the Dollar Tree. If the present is very small, it does not get wrapped but put in the stocking as is. This has worked out quite well. I will simply launder the sacs and use again next year. Why did I not do this years ago?
    I made these many years ago. When the kids were little I also had them string letter beads spelling out everyone's names. We always use the cloth gift bags and pin the name of the recipient onto the bag with the beaded names.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I made these many years ago. When the kids were little I also had them string letter beads spelling out everyone's names. We always use the cloth gift bags and pin the name of the recipient onto the bag with the beaded names.
    That is a great idea to use bead names and pin them on the bags. I used mini paper labels this year stuck on the ribbons and didn't like them much.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information