Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Impending slew of crap—thread #2

Our Tim Hortons lasted 4 months I think.

Our lovely neighbors just dropped off a loaf of his sourdough bread. Fantastic Xmas present. Last year I gave him my vintage sourdough cookbook hoping it would expand his knowledge.

I got an unexpected gift today, but it was a bottle of organic Malbec, so I am less annoyed than I might be otherwise at this very lovely person with whom I had a no gifts discussion, and to which she had agreed.
    Tis the season to piss me off mightily.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    that is cool about this teenager who wants nothing. I thought the most expensive and newest electronic Doohickey would always please them though, I think we are safe with that. But I understand he has all the clothes he needs and through digital mediums has all the entertainment and educational things he needs.

I do wonder about you Canadians and your love of Timmy Hortons. We had Tim two blocks from my house and he did not last long here. I didn’t get it, I thought it was …not good. Sorry!
    Tims is popular because it is predictable and clean. I like their decaf coffee. It became popular, I think, at the time when people stopped visiting at each other's houses but met at the coffee shop instead. I cannot remember when that became the norm.

Funnily enough, it is now owned by an American conglomerate
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    When is enough for a teen? An adult? Interesting article.https://www.cbc.ca/parents/learning/...-for-christmas
    Yeah, I'm taking a break from wrapping. We agreed to do Secret Santa, but DH is having a hard time letting go. He bought a bunch of little stocking stuffers that to me make little sense--Lobster socks, canoe socks, those fuzzy slipper socks. A magnetic baking conversion table--2 of them. Stuff like that. Things that aren't much worth the wrapping paper.

But he LOVES doing this kind of stuff and while I'll be mortified giving my SIL lobster socks, my guess is all these weird, cheap gifts will be appreciated. DH is the quantity guy, and I'm the quality guy. I bought the grandkids one thing--winter coats. He likes buying a bunch of little, fun crappy things. Another way in which we are different, yet complementary
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am definitely the lobster sock buyer in our family, although I did buy a winter coat for my little fashionista, as we have watched the Parent Trap twice now and she loves all the dresses.

Yesterday we went to an antique store which was next to the hardware store and I bought two more presents for the little girls because they did not have anything fun, just more serious and practical gifts. Note to self--shop for Christmas at the antique store--lots of cool things under twenty dollars.

Kids are coming over today and opening presents, so I am excited to see their reaction. That's probably why the secret santa thing does not work as well for some people. I've floated it in the family, but I really do like buying things for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Kids are coming over today and opening presents, so I am excited to see their reaction. That's probably why the secret santa thing does not work as well for some people. I've floated it in the family, but I really do like buying things for people.
    I completely understand about that. This has been really hard for us to pull back. I went out just now with a last call for Christmas and I couldn't get my head out of "Oh, I didn't get M anything!" "Oh, N doesn't have a spouse--shouldn't I get something extra so they have something to unwrap?"

I cheated because my daughter told us a couple of weeks ago that she's pregnant! Her first! We're not supposed to utter a word for the first trimester or make a big deal about it, but DH and I wanted to do something subtle. So Victoria's Secret had really soft, plush tartan robes on sale for $35 so I bought her one of those. I'm not abusing the spirit of Secret Santa. This isn't for Christmas--it's for a different celebration!

It's so easy to find ways to cheat. That being said, I'm just hanging out waiting to set the table for the kids coming tonight. So different from prior chaotic years.

Tybee, have a wonderful time with the family!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You know, As a longtime veteran of no gifting, I fully accept that people will give me gifts even if we talked about it and they said they wouldn’t. That’s just how people, especially parents, roll. If I were your kids, I would not be especially annoyed by it. I might be curious and ask you “hey I thought we decided not to give gifts? What is up?” but in the end people are going to gift no matter what.

To help temper it, just keep in the back of your mind that some of us consider it a huge burden, this crap that you are unloading on us.

Also since both of you have small grandchildren, that keeps the whole gifting frenzy alive. Once everyone grows to adulthood that kills the spirit.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-24-21 at 4:17pm.

DH wrapped up the offensive food that is now full into “ unbearable” category. He’s going to freeze it and take it to Hermann where he will chomp away on it and I don’t have to see it. He thinks it is OK but not very good. I think the thing cost a good $70 if not more.

edited to add: $99. The tasteless thing mailed to us cost $99 and that includes “free” shipping.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-24-21 at 4:21pm.

We had a wonderful time, and congratulations, Catherine, another grandchild--that's a true Christmas present!

We opened gifts and it was really terrific--this was the first Christmas eve we had spent with them in 8 years, although we did get to go to their house for Christmas last year, for the first Christmas time together in 7 years. So it was pretty special, and I have to say, everyone really did enjoy buying for each other--the biggest excitement was for the presents the girls bought each other, and they were so excited to give them and see the other one's reaction.

Maybe because we have been apart so many Christmases, the gift part was super fun. I kind of think we all like buying gifts, too, because the adults were very excited, too. There were three records from the Goodwill exchanged, so not pricy, but special for each person. I gave my son a painting that he had admired and said he wanted to inherit--so I thought, why not give it now, and I can always see it at his house.

If we had to buy gifts for people outside the family, I would not enjoy it at all.

Thread Information