Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holiday Raves 2018

It sounds like you all are finding your way to the best way to do Christmas. Ours is pared down to a 3 foot tree with colored light. We bring it down from the attic, put it on the end table, put a wee angel on top that my mother made, put the cloth around and a 60 year old ceramic Santa and some candle figures. I put red bows on the railing outside and we're done. I do make sticky buns-lots of sticky buns for Christmas at my sister's. My mom used to make them. It takes a while to figure out what works and what brings joy. The lights bring me joy. I love outside lights that other people put out...I don't care how gaudy or simple they are, I love that people take the time to do that and I get such pleasure from seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I have been having mixed emotions over my Christmas decorations this year. I do love what I have/do. But no one really comes to our house. The only ones who "enjoy" them are me and the hubs. And honestly, I think if I didn't put them up at all he wouldn't care. He does like the tree, and put it up for me, but then left me to decorate it. It felt/feels hollow somehow.

Our mantel is my favorite item: I put greenery on it with very small white lights on it; I made our stockings which look Nordic and they hang from iron reindeer hooks.

I now own (it was from my mom's house) a beautiful watercolor painting that one of her friends had created. It's a beautifully done old world Santa. I love it, but haven't hung it yet, because I think "what the heck?"
    Same here. No family or visitors, just my husband and me but I don't decorate for others, I decorate for us. I do it because I think it is pretty. My husband works 10 hour days so I do all of the decorating, include hauling in and erecting our 7 ½’ artificial tree. I know he likes it too, so it is okay that I do it for just us and I think it is okay for you to do it just for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    Same here. No family or visitors, just my husband and me but I don't decorate for others, I decorate for us. I do it because I think it is pretty. My husband works 10 hour days so I do all of the decorating, include hauling in and erecting our 7 ½’ artificial tree. I know he likes it too, so it is okay that I do it for just us and I think it is okay for you to do it just for you too.

Thanks for that---I guess I just feel a loss of sharing with family, who now all have homes of their own or live far away. I will try and just enjoy it for myself.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

When I moved far away I knew I wouldn’t be going home every holiday so started inviting friends over and that tradition has lasted for 22 years. Even when all my kids lived here one day would be family and one friends on Xmas. Out of 5 kids we now only have 1 living locally. Things change.

Thread Information