Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Raves 2018

Holiday Raves 2018

I love my Xmas decor this year, it fits my criteria for a good christmas holiday which is, do something different.

Doing the same old thing bores me to tears. So, I have a decorated mantle (not new) and a giant wreath gleaned from the dumpster (new to me ) and two decorated pots outside, filled with holly from our Hermann deforestation project.

I am already envisioning, in a happy frame of mind, taking it all down! It will be easy to dispose of since it is all natural materials but for the lights.

I got rid of much of my Xmas decorations a few years ago and also acquired a few new pieces which I am enjoying. I also kept a few old pieces that friends made for me through the years.

Well, mine is all natural stuff with exception of lights. That is why I can chuck it all in January. SO satisfying!

We are going subtle this year. May or may not put up a tree, depending on travel needs. So far have up one Swedish candelabra, very happy with, one tiny German ornament that I found at a garage sale last summer, my old advent wreath with 2 Moravian candles I gave to my mom years ago and she never burned and two bayberry candles I gave her, ditto. Two wreathes, one outside door and one on kitchen door so the house smells good. Just plain with a bow. And of course the Christmas puzzle, which is kind of driving me crazy at seems incredibly hard if enjoyable, and it is making me fear that my brain does not work as well as it did when I was young.

And the outside lights--one string, blue, and an antique sled that I bought at a yard sale and refinished last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I have a neighbour who did this Grinch scene exactly. He has deciduous tree in front with some balls hanging from it as well. That is it!

I like a little more. I have the two choir kids that my DH made in 1970 with two small LED floodlights shining on them in the front flower bed, some cascading icicles hanging from inside my front window, two urns with simple natural greens and two plastic candles that are over 20 years old on the garage entry area, a wreath on the front door and a small Rudolph on the entryway table.

Inside I have further reduced my decorations to minimal to decorate my 5 foot self-illuminated porch tree with the extra to be donated, a couple of christmas wooden plates that my daughter made me, a nativity scene plus my home-sewn placemats that I love.
    The bin to store it all is getting smaller and lighter each year as I reduce the contents.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Five (five!) kind people helped, or offered to help me walk/open doors at the PO today, including a police officer. I appreciate their kind concern so much, but would rather not be attracting it. Bittersweet.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Five (five!) kind people helped, or offered to help me walk/open doors at the PO today, including a police officer. I appreciate their kind concern so much, but would rather not be attracting it. Bittersweet.
    Unless it was icy, they should have left you alone.

I did offer my arm to one of my garden club lady friend who has a temporary leg problem these days, but that was for a step down and it looked like she might have trouble negotiating it because she is new at this.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Unless it was icy, they should have left you alone.

I did offer my arm to one of my garden club lady friend who has a temporary leg problem these days, but that was for a step down and it looked like she might have trouble negotiating it because she is new at this.
    I agree--as I pointed out to one would-be helper "Unless you want me to take you down with me should I fall, it's better that you don't help." Or words to that effect. The officer was particularly persistent. I'm slow, but I get there. I feel like I'm traveling with a spotlight on me.

Disability etiquette says you ask and if the answer is no you leave. People should never insist.

Thread Information