Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitbit vs garmin?

Fitbit vs garmin?

so I found out today that my company's $300 fitness reimbursement can be used for fitness trackers. So I have to buy one by the end of the year to take advantage of that. I have tiny wrists, and so want a narrow/small fitness tracker. I've whittled it down to 2 models: Fitbit Alta HR and Garmin Vivosmart.

I like the Fitbit styling and colors better, but the Garmin has an added oxygen sensor, for which it charges $30 more.

Any opinions on either? (I did read the fitbit thread from earlier this year.)

I have a VivoFit that I like very much. It has all that I personally need on it, i.e., simple functions. It was also much less expensive at the time compared to the FitBits. That being said, I did not have a company reimbursement. If I had, I may have opted for the FitBit.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I had 2 Fitbits that didn’t last a year.

Just to add on that VivoFit---you don't have to worry about them dying and needing recharging all the time. The batteries last a bit longer than a year I've found.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

So you have to allow the company access to your activities for your gym membership to be covered? (trying to understand)

So you have to allow the company access to your activities for your gym membership to be covered? (trying to understand)
    No. You can use the money for a gym membership, personal trainer or fitness tracker.

For the fitness tracker, they just subsidize the purchase price, with the idea that you will be more active, and being less of a burden to the medical system.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I had 2 Fitbits that didn’t last a year.
    My Fitbit is going strong at 18 months--same with DH.

My DD wanted a Fitbit to track heart rate, steps and sleeping, and she also wanted something smaller than the Charge 2, so I got her the Alta HR, and she really likes it. I know nothing about the Garmin, so I can't speak to which is better.

I'm sure you can do this with any fitness tracker, but I really like the interchangeable band thing. I have a few rubber ones in different colors, but I also bought a silver/metal band ($7.40) that is better when I'm working with clients.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I find this trend fascinating and kind of disturbing--micromanaging every bodily function every minute of the day--and maybe, eventually, sharing one's whole medical dossier with an employer.

Proud to say I didn't incur excessive medical costs for my employer, sluggish and contrary though I am. (I could have easily paid 30 years worth out of pocket if I'd had to.)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I find this trend fascinating and kind of disturbing--micromanaging every bodily function every minute of the day--and maybe, eventually, sharing one's whole medical dossier with an employer.

Proud to say I didn't incur excessive medical costs for my employer, sluggish and contrary though I am. (I could have easily paid 30 years worth out of pocket if I'd had to.)
    I admit, I love my Fitbit. I was telling DD and her SO how it's actually strange: before I had a Fitbit I'd wake up and say, "I had a great sleep!" Now I check my Fitbit to see if I had a good sleep by checking the time slept in deep sleep, light sleep and REM.

But, being a data geek, I find it fun and insightful.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I can generally tell I slept well when I wake up in the same position as when I fell asleep.

Thread Information