Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best Christmas gift you ever got?

This is one of the neatest gifts I ever got in terms of being an unexpected pleasure that I use all the time. I got it from a former manager who was a fellow book lover. It's great for multitasking while I read.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bookweight-Gr...k+weight&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    This is one of the neatest gifts I ever got in terms of being an unexpected pleasure that I use all the time. I got it from a former manager who was a fellow book lover. It's great for multitasking while I read.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bookweight-Gr...k+weight&psc=1
    My cataloging staff at the library used book weights.

These are great stories. IL, I didn't know you're a pianist! Do you have a piano in your home?

Such touching stories, from emeralds to hedgehogs!

I'm having a hard time picking a favorite myself: When I was 12, my stepfather gave me The Diary of Anne Frank which was life changing for me at that time. I've been an Anne Frankophile ever since. My DH gave me a sewing machine the first Christmas we were married. My kids have given me so many unique gifts--one of my favorites was a little scrapbook in which each page had a picture of a family member and a funny poem about that person. Two of my kids collaborated on them, staying up until the wee hours to finish, and they made enough scrapbooks for everyone in the family.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I didnt play piano for around 40 years. A few years ago I got the bug to play again after I retired, and bought one of those weighted keyboards. I had always turned up my nose at electronic keyboards but of course they had improved over the decades since I last touched one, doh! So it was cheap and easy to scratch that itch, and this keyboard is light to carry around.

i havent played in recent months but likely will take it up again.

narnia-lamp-post-7357.jpg
    When I was in grade school I was a book freak, still am. I had fallen in love with The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, illustrations and all. One night it started to snow after we had gone to bed. My mom was always a terrible night owl. She came in after midnight and woke me up, wrapped me in my blanket with her finger to her lips and took me to see a light pole in the snow in our wooded neighborhood. The scene looked exactly like the one the illustration conjured. We said nothing but looked at it and watched it snow for quite some time. She then took me back to bed. It is one of my strongest and most loving memories of a mother who was not demonstrative or affectionate. It was magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    narnia-lamp-post-7357.jpg
    When I was in grade school I was a book freak, still am. I had fallen in love with The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, illustrations and all. One night it started to snow after we had gone to bed. My mom was always a terrible night owl. She came in after midnight and woke me up, wrapped me in my blanket with her finger to her lips and took me to see a light pole in the snow in our wooded neighborhood. The scene looked exactly like the one the illustration conjured. We said nothing but looked at it and watched it snow for quite some time. She then took me back to bed. It is one of my strongest and most loving memories of a mother who was not demonstrative or affectionate. It was magical.
    i love this so much! Really! Love it! It IS ToTALY magical!

I was a fan of LWW book and all of the religious allegory went over my head as a kid. How cool is it to find an entire world in the back of a wardrobe!!???

there is a section of a public park here in my city that is less traveled. Some years ago on a foggy evening I was walking thru it having those same kind of feelings at the images that appeared. It was Magical!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-13-18 at 10:01am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    i love this so much! Really! Love it! It IS ToTALY magical!

I was a fan of LWW book and all of the religious allegory went over my head as a kid. How cool is it to find an entire world in the back of a wardrobe!!???

there is a section of a public park jere in my city that is less traveled. Some years agoon a foggy evening I was walking theu it having those same kind of feelings at the images that appeared. Magical!
    It was also my favorite book as a child! Yes--the whole idea of that magical winter world just past the fur coats in the War Drobe... how compelling! What a wonderful memory, Simplemind!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thumbelina, when I was in second grade and back when Christmas was magical and gifts were few. I still have her. I saw a Thumbelina selling on ebay for $415.00 but she will stay with me.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    Thumbelina, when I was in second grade and back when Christmas was magical and gifts were few. I still have her. I saw a Thumbelina selling on ebay for $415.00 but she will stay with me.
    Could you share a photo of her please?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Could you share a photo of her please?
    Here's Thumbelina. Lookin' good for being 57 years old.

thumbelina.jpg

Thread Information