Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best Christmas gift you ever got?

What's the best Christmas gift you ever got?

We've shared a few Christmas gift threads, and we've done some gift-bashing, but I'm wondering--what is the best gift you've every gotten for Christmas? Or one of the best ones? At least one or two that you remember fondly?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have probably told this before, but when DH & I were dating, his mom gave me a fancy piece of lingerie for xmas. I figured that was a pretty clear message that she approved of me for her son!

When I was a kid or maybe I was 12-13 something like that, My parents bought a piano for me. This was a big deal because I had already taken piano lessons for years, and then somewhere along the way my mother decided that I would play the organ which I did not really take to, and then somewhere along the way we got rid of our original piano and I don’t remember why. So I had an organ that I thought was somewhat stupid, and my parents understood at that point that I really wanted to play piano so they bought a low-end kind of cheap piano. And it was a surprise! So that was great. It was later replaced with a grand piano, but that one surprise piano was really nice.

DH made something great for a present once that I’m still using and I don’t remember if it was Christmas or birthday, but he made special wood props for the dumpster lids. I can hang them on the fence because they have a custom made hole for the nail, and then I can grab them when I need them to prop open dumpster lids when I’m throwing in yard waste. It is a very useful tool.

Yppej
    A tablet.

When dh and I were first married we were broke. I found a $20 bill blowing across a motel parking lot on my way home from work in early December (I was walking home in the dark in subfreezing weather and there was literally not another human in sight.) we spent it on a little tree, two strings of lights at the store that was having a huge going out of buisines sale, a plastic pitcher for him for cheap frozen juice once a week - to replace the used milk jug, and shoes for me that I needed for work (also at the going out of business store). We put the pitcher and the shoes under the tree Christmas morning along with some little things we had made. I felt like a princess in those shoes.

The best? Well, the most romantic and amazing..................... I have a May birthday. In our poor minimum wage years I said "someday I will have an emerald". I only said it once. Advance 19 years......DH remembered that. He gave me an emerald necklace for our 20th Christmas.

This is amazing because, DH is not a romantic and we often do not do gifts. The fact that he remembered that was so so sweet. To this day (39th Christmas this year), it is the only jewelry I wear. I love it still because he remembered.

My best Christmas present was going to Grand Bahama Island for Christmas and skipping any gift exchange. We had never been anywhere outside Canada and it was wonderfully warm and sunny and I discovered Ricardo Coconut Rum mixed with pineapple juice was a heavenly drink. Haven't had one of those in years now that I think of it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

A small band with diamonds from my beloved, some months after we met. The worst was a lighted makeup mirror with one broken bulb.

The best Christmas present was a hedgehog. I had seen them in the pet store, and really wanted one. Had picked one up and held it. My husband bought one for me for Christmas and somehow kept him hidden till Christmas Day.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    The best Christmas present was a hedgehog. I had seen them in the pet store, and really wanted one. Had picked one up and held it. My husband bought one for me for Christmas and somehow kept him hidden till Christmas Day.
    What a great gift! I love hedgehogs!

Thread Information