Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Objects that used to have meaning but don't anymore

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post

I think one more factor that complicates things is that I do not believe my daughter wants any of my stuff after I'm gone. And yeah, that hutch thing--I have my grandmother's hutch; she won't want it. But it is difficult for me to think about getting rid of it since it was Grandma's. I was so happy to inherit it almost 40 years ago.
    yes, I didn't want my mother's or MIL's Royal Doulton figurines, and that made MIL sad, and even worried about what would happen to them when she died (they're packed in a box in my BIL's storage unit.)

But then we get to my generation, and I'm wondering what to do about my Lenox dishes, and my son said, "Just the idea of having a whole set of fancy china for a couple of days a year is so bizarre!!" And I know he's reflecting the thinking of his generation and those younger. And, I must admit, I agree. (But it is fun to set a beautiful table on holidays)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would use my Lenox china dailey were it not for the gold edges. That doesnt work in the microwave. Dailey wear in the dishwasher is not good, either.

But I havent given up in perhaps using them later in life on a daily basis. If I end up renting an apartment in the city after we move to Hermann, I may not have a dishwasher. Might use them then. I am planning to ise my 140 year old flow blue china in Herman and those do not have any gold.

The few things my kids wanted I have already given to them. I sold my good dishes because I was sick of them. I bought polish pottery plates and bowls that I have wanted for years. I didn’t need all the other pieces.

Thread Information