Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to repair a piece of plastic on a serving tray?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to repair a piece of plastic on a serving tray?

Wasn't sure where to post this.

I have a number of strong plastic platters that I've used over the years when serving food at get-togethers, DD's recitals, etc. This was one of my favorites. It broke. It's about 15" in diameter. You can see the big piece that broke off. I wasn't sure if I needed a certain kind of glue, since it's used for food. I just saw a guy on You Tube fix some of his cracks in things with a soldering iron. I was thinking maybe I could do that, and not have to worry about some toxic glue. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Here's a pic of it.IMG_0604.jpg

It is really pretty and you have had great use from it. That said, I would simply scrap it now. I have tried repairing items that I have had for a while and spent more on glue, etc and it still broke again. Once an item has such a large break, the integrity of the whole piece has been stressed and becomes fragile. You don't want some treats that have been lovingly donated or expensive treats that you have made falling on the floor and wasted due to the fragile serving dish
    Put a new one on your Christmas wish list.
    Sorry for the negative response
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I do the same as Razz. Plus I would be worried about bacteria getting into the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would be worried about bacteria getting into the cracks.
    +1

Are you thinking you might melt the plastic back together with the soldering iron? I think it is likely that the plastic is a thermoset type, which will not melt until you get to very extreme temperatures.

I use many broken or extra kitchen items under my houseplants.

Toss it and get a new one, Dollar store, WalMart, Target, depending on how much you want to pay...

I would also toss it, but if you're inclined to save it, how about Gorilla glue? That stuff seems to work pretty well. Then maybe just restrict its use non-food things, or cover the dish with a doily. If there was a good seal, I personally wouldn't be worrying about bacteria, but I'm not much of a germaphobe. But honestly, I wouldn't find it to be worth the trouble, unfortunately
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

But as simple living folks, shouldn't we try to repair things as opposed to throwing them out?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    But as simple living folks, shouldn't we try to repair things as opposed to throwing them out?
    Absolutely, but there comes a point when the wise thing to do is realize when something is beyond its usefulness. You could break it all into bits and repurpose it as a mosaic or Christmas ornaments, but its life as a serving tray is probably over.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Because it's plastic I wouldn't get a soldering iron near it. That could cause toxic off-gassing. If it was something I really liked I'd probably bury the broken end in one of the garden beds and use it for a backdrop to flowers. That's what I've done with several pottery plates that I couldn't bear to part with.

Not my photo: 20160508_162707a.jpg
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information