Thread: white elephant gift question

white elephant gift question

So, tomorrow is our work christmas party and there's a secret white elephant gift exchange. I was originally going to give 1,100 eyeglass screws to some unsuspecting victim. Now I'm contemplating being a bit more kind and giving them a coffee mug with the name our employer briefly had after the 2008 financial meltdown. I currently use this mug every day and at least a few people think it's cool, so it may not be white elephantish enough. But I could then take my current work logo mug from home to the office and get one item closer to minimalism.

So, vote now. what should my white elephant gift for the work party be? 1,100 eyeglass screws or an historic (or is it just outdated?) and well used coffee mug? Or should I go into full-on dick mode and just wrap up a roll of toilet paper.

Wouldn’t the mug blow the secret part?

Awwww, if only you had given me a weeks notice,
    I would have shipped you my wonderful mini Swiss apron costume, framed, for your white elephant party.

I would go with 1000 eyeglass Screws because that’s pretty funny and very unusual.

The mug definitely limits the number of people who would likely be giving it, and may well identify me to at least a few of the coffee drinkers in the office (maybe 10% actually drink the free work coffee, if even that. The rest haven't read YMOYL and go downstairs to starbucks or peets or one of the fancy places like Philz.). And when we moved offices a year ago to a new office with no closets there was a giant gimme table of all the junk that had piled up in closets for 25 years so the giver of this gift could have gotten it there. (one of the things on the gimme table (ok, not actually on it, but next to it due to it's size) was an entire trade show booth. If I'd had any idea this white elephant gift giving opportunity was coming up I would've dragged that home and wrapped it up tonight, brought it to the office under cloak of darkness, and let some poor person pick it tomorrow!)

Ultimately I decided on giving both the mug and the screws, as well as the absurdly small sunscreen samples my dermatologist gave me at last week's annual skin check. My sister thought I should toss in the toothbrush from last week's dental cleaning, but the box was already wrapped by that point. The fact that the box is a shipping box for olive oil from the Temecula Olive Oil Company will add to the mystery.

Iris, that mini Swiss apron would have been the PERFECT gift. I read that thread before this and was thinking "dang! I need that for tomorrow!"

gift.jpg

I dunno, but I just presented a white elephant Christmas gift to my friend. Her husband is a semi-pro level golfer in his free time, and just joined a country club so he could play more often. She's not fond of golf, particularly, but he keeps trying to drag her along. I got her...Toilet Golf! (It really is a thing!)

Thread Information