Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petty stuff but it drives me bats

Petty stuff but it drives me bats

There is one gal in my office who has been here perhaps 18 months. Eastern European immigrant. Only a few years in our industry.

This is probably petty stuff, but it’s driving me bats.

Multiple times a day she pulls documents off the printer, pulls her stuff out, and puts everything else back on the printer with pages everywhich way. Some are facing up, some are facing down. Stuff out of order. I’ve caught her red-handed many times over many months. I’ve politely asked her to please make sure everything is facing the same way and in order. She doesn’t give a flying fig. I spend a lot of time putting things to rights when I’ve taken stuff off the printer.

A lot of time shipping documents have to be in the order they were printed out in, otherwise matching them up is difficult. There have been times when I’ve just pitched the lot and reprinted. Takes a lot less time.

Today it was especially bad and I marched into manager’s office. I told her I’d repeatedly nicely asked gal to please make sure everything was in order and she’s still doing it. I’m wasting time. She said she would take care of it. We’ll see.

Often when we pull stuff off the printer we will pass it out to the few other people who use that printer. All in small area. The same gal will pull a stack off the printer, take her one page, and dump the rest in my in box. She’s a lazy witch. The stacks she drops in my in box? Some of it is hers, some other people, one thing on top mine. I’ve told her repeatedly to stop giving me other people’s stuff, but again, she doesn’t care. People will ask me why their docs ended up in my in box. I’ll tell them so and so can’t be bothered to go through the stack. I’ve told her my in box is not her dumping ground.

I now refuse to take anything of this gal’s to her desk. It gets put on the table next to the copier.

She’s sort a golden girl. We’re supposed to take turns with one off shipments and rate quotes. Too often lately she’ll pull the “I’m too busy, can’t do it” thing, yet if the other girl and I tried that, we’d get a talking to. She uses her young son as an excuse to rush out of the office early whenever possible. Whines she has too little vacation time and complains I should give her some of mine (I get nearly a month as a result of being there 12 years and barely took half, if that, this year).

She can’t seem to do anything herself when it comes to customs issues. Refuses to do hardly anything herself. Nearly threw a fit today when I told her to call customs when an airline couldn’t see the customs clearance. It was done correctly but something was weird on the airline’s end. I gave her the number for customs and told her what to ask. If I wasn’t there, she’d have to do it herself.

Supervisor was out sick today. If she’s back tomorrow, I’m pulling her aside and unloading this on her. This crap is ridiculous.

We have a printer system at work that doesn’t print until you scan your badge. So multiple people can send print jobs at once, but nothing prints until they stand in front of the printer and scan their badge. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    We have a printer system at work that doesn’t print until you scan your badge. So multiple people can send print jobs at once, but nothing prints until they stand in front of the printer and scan their badge. I love it.
    Wow! I would love that!

A lot of time shipping documents have to be in the order they were printed out in, otherwise matching them up is difficult.
    So how would she even do what you are asking, once she has removed her print job? How would she know the "right" order?

for what is worth, every where I've ever worked, the printer is a free for all. If you want something private, or not to be disturbed, you find a time when other people aren't using the printer. Or you get your own printer. They aren't that expensive. It seems that since your group is doc heavy, this might be something to ask you boss. I would just ignore someone asking me to take time to get other people's jobs in order- particularly if it was difficult to know what the order should be.

If I understand this correctly, and I am not sure that I do, in response to herbgeek: i would expect everyone to make an effort to put all prior print jobs in an orderly stack. Then, other people could come and find their printed pieces, having to sort their jobs from others,but still having confidence their psges are in order.

as for getting your own printer—-hahaha!

Haha....not that expensive....hahaha

haha

ok, sorry, dont mean ean to be rude, but when you work in an environment where IT runs the show you have networked printers. End of story. You don’t get your own printer ever. Maybe human resources dept gets their own printer because they have confidential information but no one else does!

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    every where I've ever worked, the printer is a free for all. If you want something private, or not to be disturbed, you find a time when other people aren't using the printer.
    The delayed-printing system Tammy mentioned may be available even without new or different printers. We had such a system at two other places I worked; one required punching in your department number (for chargeback); the other let you set up your own "PIN" so you could designate that print jobs were held at the printer until you got to the printer and entered your PIN; then the job printed as soon as the current one finished.

Not all printers or printer driver software can do this, but if it's a particular interest, it might be worth looking at the printer manufacturer's Web site to see if the existing printer driver (or a different version) might do this.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Talked to supervisor this morning. She had also noticed everything I had concerns about. She’s talked to the gal about the printing issue before, with no change. Supervisor said she will talk to the gal this morning.

Yes, Iris was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    That's the system we also have. I agree. It's fantastic. It's also good because people who need to print private things (like HR) can use network printers. And even better, I can go to any of our offices around the world, get on the network and print stuff if I need to because my badge will work on any printer company-wide. Not that I go to any offices other than Seattle and LA, but I could...

Yppej
    Is she used to a Cyrillic alphabet? The Cambodian immigrant in our office is always giving me mail with every other envelope or two in the stack upside down. I talked to her nicely once about it, no change, and figured maybe she is used to another alphabet and doesn't pay attention. It is annoying.

Thread Information