Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 27% of employees got a raise in 12 months ending 11/30/2018

27% of employees got a raise in 12 months ending 11/30/2018

Bankrate's Financial Security Survey November 20-25, 2018, found

27% of respondents received a wage increase over the previous 12 months from their current employer.

The linked article contains the view that "the only way to get a pay increase in the current economy would be to switch jobs." I assume the switch would involve greater responsibility, a more advanced set of skills, larger scope... or perhaps relocating to a new location where there is an opportunity (labor shortage).

Younger workers had more of tendency to change jobs than older workers.

I understand that when workers reflect on how long it has been since they received a raise, it can be dissatisfying.

http://www.bankrate.com/personal-fin...-december-2018

Simpler Living is one way of coping.

… rather than being "mad as hell". Peter Finch won a posthumous "Best Actor Academy Award" for his performance in the 1976 film, Network

http://neilchughes.com/2014/07/15/im...m-network-1976
    Last edited by dado potato; 12-14-18 at 10:44am.

I wonder how many even match COLA let alone a merit increase? I'm 4% behind in COLA from 2009-2018. Paycut is more like it.

The linked article contains the view that "the only way to get a pay increase in the current economy would be to switch jobs." I assume the switch would involve greater responsibility, a more advanced set of skills, larger scope... or perhaps relocating to a new location where there is an opportunity (labor shortage).
    I wouldn't assume any except ON AVERAGE, but with actual individual data, a similar job can pay a fairly wide range of salaries and you might get more money switching if you are paid on the low end. It it worth it to switch jobs though? Just for money? Unless you are destitute, in my opinion: heck no. But for other things (more interesting work, out of a bad commute etc.) maybe but only maybe.

Younger workers had more of tendency to change jobs than older workers.
    some is probably age discrimination, older workers know to hold on to what they've got, because if you fall after a certain age it's a much harder fall.

But a lot is just the lesson of experience, so if I was cat stevens, I'd sing to those younger workers:

But if you wanna leave, take good care ...
    I hope you make a lot of nice friends out there
    But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware!

(because who after a certain number of jobs, which the young don't have under their belts yet, hasn't seen too many different types of bad? And that's why something decent is worth staying with)
    Trees don't grow on money

I believe the COLA increase for Social Security recipients in 2019 is 2.9%. I remember in my working days how some of my colleagues would use that as a data point in what kind of increase (if any) they were going to get from our employer. They felt that as working people, it should be higher than what a retiree receives.
    No idea what the MegaCorps consider a fair raise these days.

I had no increase from 2009 until spring 2017. They gave me a "huge" 11% they said. COLA for that period? 14.26% So not only was I behind each year, in the end I was still behind 3.26%.

Fortunately we live lean on 35% of our income. The rest is taxes and retirement savings. We'll be fine but oh my if we lived like the average American, we'd be hurtin' and/or feeling deprived.

We'll see what 2019 brings. I have no expectations...it just makes it easier.

The public hospital where I work has 4000 employees and is over 100 years old and is considered to have the best pension and benefit plan in the state. We routinely see 2-4 % increases based on performance evaluation scores. Some years there is zero raise, if the budget is scary looking. One year when there was no budget for a raise, I received a one time ~$1000 bonus instead.

I think we’re a good comparison for the nonprofit world.

My son works in the private sector - he got a 5% raise and a $5000 bonus this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    The public hospital where I work has 4000 employees and is over 100 years old and is considered to have the best pension and benefit plan in the state. We routinely see 2-4 % increases based on performance evaluation scores. Some years there is zero raise, if the budget is scary looking. One year when there was no budget for a raise, I received a one time ~$1000 bonus instead. .
    I work in a not-for-profit small healthcare system. 14000 employees in facilities across the state. Bonus structure doesn't exist. I won't go back to the other place in town. They have become famous for large same-day-walk-you-out-the-door layoffs. i don't need that crap in the final years of my career.

The small pension I got when I took early retirement doesn't adjust for cost of living or anything else. When I get really old it will probably get me a few minutes in a parking meter. I'm fortunate to have it at all, I suppose.

Fortunately our pensions see a raise every year starting at year 4.

We have not had raises in either of the schools we work for for 10 years now. They also eliminated bonuses several years ago.

Thread Information