Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No sugar beeakfast

sliced lox/smoked salmon (Costco has great deals on this), cream cheese & red onions. If I hadn't read Steve and Jane's posts, I'd have included bagel.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I pretty much only have 3 breakfasts. Green smoothie with protein powder often with fruit, hot cereal like oatmeal or some of Bob's Mills whole grain hot cereal mixes often with walnuts, or peanut butter on whole wheat toast. Depending on who is defining things those are mostly sugar free. I don't worry too much about the complex carbohydrates, but fruit might be out. Some of the commonly available glycemic indices have been helpful to me.

Don't you have a fructose sensitivity, ZoeGirl?
    Avocado on fiber crackers? Deviled eggs? Last night's dinner leftovers?

Hi Jane, yes I am fructose intolerant. I can eat the cutie type oranges and berries, but not things like apples. Actually avacadoes and beets are on the restricted list. Since regular sugar is okay I tend to indulge more.

I realized that I have more options than I thought, as long as I eat peanut butter at home or get sunbutter if I am eating at school.

Dinner leftovers
    Roasted potatoes and vegetables
    Fruit & nuts
    Fruit salad w/avocado or coconut
    yogurt & blueberries

I am really just focused on no added sugar, not how refined the carbs are. Something to step up from most of the yogurts and breakfast bars

I love a Peanut butter sandwich...cut banana lengthwise spread with
    a nut butter and sunflower seeds and put back together. Fun and tasty.
    Of course oatmeal with berries, chia seeds and nuts.
    Fried up veggies with eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Umm, depending on how you define "sugar", some of the items already on your list don't belong. Bagels (especially the huge ones now in vogue) are loaded with carbohydrates, mostly from bleached white flour, but sometimes from ingredients like raisins or flavorings, as well. Blueberries are very low in sugar for fruit (as are almost all berries) but are not "no-sugar".

Eggs, in all forms, are a fine no-sugar choice. If "lower-carbohydrate, no added sugar" is a better definition of what you're after, then whole grains (not just oatmeal but grains like bulghur and wheat berries and the like) can serve well for breakfast. Cheese or fish (smoked or canned) is a choice for some people, maybe served with whole-grain crackers or fruit.

Loosening the definition of breakfast can help, too. People in lots of places eat bean dishes or soups (with some protein in them) for their morning meal. All of those can be made low-/no-added sugar.
    Almost all commercial bread products are made with sugar--this is not counting the carbohydrates. High fructose corn syrup is in a lot of baked goods, even those made of whole grains. Some sugar is understandable--sugar helps feed the yeast that makes the bread rise, but US bread is very sweet compared to bread in other countries because of the amount of sugar used.

If you are trying to cut down on sugar but still want to eat bread of some sort, making your own or getting bread from a local bakery that is low in sugar would be the way to go.

On yogurt... I use plain, homemade yogurt and mix a bunch of ground flax meal into it. This makes it both more substantial and less runny. I make several mornings' worth by putting frozen blueberries into a pint canning jar or glass container, mixing in the flax meal and yogurt, and then putting a little homemade granola or some sliced almonds on top.

Green onions omelette. Love to slice the green onions with a vegetable slicer . I make it before going to work

Thread Information