Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please tell me about yoga

I suspect many people like me are really lacking in kinetic intelligence and so we really do need many classes to learn anything related to movement. But not doing yoga now anyway, I have taken classes here or there.
    Trees don't grow on money

Rogar: I would think it's certainly possible to do something like this without a class, but it probably depends a lot on the individual's motivation to actually do it. Being able to do something anytime can translate to doing it never, if you know what I mean. My sister was saying that she liked that this class has no commitment or pre-registration, but that also makes it a lot easier to not show up.
    I needed quite a bit of coaching to get into the positions correctly, so at this point I can certainly use the instructor's help. I'm also pretty introverted and I'm retired now, so it's good for me to get out and associate with others sometimes.

[QUOTE=rosarugosa;329757]Rogar: I would think it's certainly possible to do something like this without a class, but it probably depends a lot on the individual's motivation to actually do it....[QUOTE]

I understand. Different things work for different people and a class is probably especially good for starting out. Personal opinion, but I think if a person depends on only classes for practice it can make it less likely to continue over the long run when you have to drive somewhere every time in good weather or bad, class schedules are not especially flexible, and driving time also takes time away from other things. On the other hand some people have a home lifestyle that isn't especially conducive to a quite yoga session. Different yoga teaching can get a little new agey, but it can also be more than just an aerobic class type work out if a person wants the mental benefits.

I guess my point was that there are more ways than just classes to learn and practice. We're all different in what works the best.

Coming in late to this wonderful discussion. Just wanted to encourage anyone who's reading this to give yoga a try. Often best to start with Gentle Yoga or Hatha Yoga or a class that is specifically for Beginners. I pretty much ignore all the lecturing and just focus on breathing and moving. It should feel good from Day 1 regardless of your own level of flexibility or strength-- if the teacher is teaching it right.

I just started at the fitness center I recently joined. The first instructor turned me off. I decided to try again with an instructor who was recommended. I can’t say it feels good but know it is doing me some good in that it is working some areas/muscles not usually used. The first time I actually walked out. The class seemed forever ... with you lying on the floor doing nothing. This second instructor works with individuals and their issues. I don’t think I would pay big bucks for classes but will continue since it is part of my fitness package.

s
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The class seemed forever ... with you lying on the floor doing nothing.
    Haha, that's called savasana and it's my favorite part! The big payoff for all the work! It's actually not "doing nothing"--you're actively trying to release your mind from mental and physical tensions and be in the moment.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Don't give up. I think I tried about 10 different instructors before I found someone helpful. I have flexibility issues and always ended up getting hurt in classes, even with gentle yoga. The problem was holding a position too long. I tried group classes and privates. I finally found an instructor who "got it" for my issues and took three privates with her. I recorded the moves with my phone camera. Did the exercises at home and it was blissful. However, when I started going to the classes I ended up with back pain again. There were moves I just couldn't do, or couldn't hold that long.

Yoga is so individual. Please give it a try. I had one physical therapist tell me that it was more important to be flexible than strong.

Coming in late here - I try to do yoga at home a few times a week. I follow "Man flow Yoga & Yoga with Tim (hmm I think that is what his YouTube goes by). I can do all the basics -
    sort of. My long range goals - head stand, full lotus, and be able to "step to the front of my mat without doing a nose dive into the TV)! They make it look so easy, "now step to
    the front of your mat"...Nah that is not happening! Our local Parks & Rec have walk in classes for "seniors" for only $ 5.00. I plan on going to make sure I am actually "attempting"
    to do the pose correctly...

Thread Information