Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me about yoga

Wow, Lainey, that sounds like a good group. I'll have to look for that kind of program. right now I just do stretches the chiropractor and physical therapists suggested over the years. I'm pretty regular with those. I incorporate some yoga poses. I haven't done a yoga tape for a while, and keep thinking I should add it in. I hate driving to a class- always at least 25 minutes each way- so don't do those.

I have been told time and again that I should "do yoga" to help with all my muscle-skeletal issues. I am pretty sure a yoga stretch I did way back in June is what tore my gluteus medius muscle on my left side (being a former athlete, I tend to be a bit competitive and not realistic about my abilities as I age) and then over do things. I remember messaging the instructor the next day saying "I think I pulled a muscle on that move." I never did anything about healing it because a few days later the proverbial sh** hit the fan and I had to rush back to Michigan.

After the holidays I am very committed to starting a concentrated effort to get my whole system back on track. I plan to go to the really nice rec center up in Santa Fe (not terribly convenient as it is a 25 mile drive but I always have other errands to do). I will check out the classes they offer, in addition to walking the track and starting back up with the eliptical machine).

Maybe I will try a gentle yoga (after explaining to the instructor all of my various painful body issues) and work on being gentle with myself and taking it easy as I start out. I tend to go on what I used to be able to do, forgetting that I am this much older and perhaps not as flexible and strong as my brain says I am...

I love yoga! I think the "feel" of a class is very much led by the instructor. If you try one you don't like, don't give up - try another.

I am very much like you, Siouz, in that I compete with both my classmates and my old me. Need to tone that down a bit!

For me, I get balance and toning and some classes are very strength building - those I tend to avoid until the proverbial "I'm fitter", which may never come.

I'm really enjoying hearing about everyone's experiences. I think my biggest take-away so far is how diverse the yoga class experience can be. My sister wants to try a studio in her town, and they do a "first class $5.00" promotion, so that probably couldn't hurt to try. There is also a class at a church within shouting distance of my house for $10.00 per session that might be worth trying.
    I could also benefit from the socializing aspects of a good group. I really enjoyed getting to know the people in our carpentry class, and I pushed myself to be more interactive in that group, with positive results. I am fairly introverted, and I no longer have the daily social contacts that I had in work. While I am not discontent with the status quo, I do believe that more social capital in my life would be a good thing.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    I encourage you to try yoga. And keep trying it until you find a congenial instructor and group. Start with beginning yoga or gentle yoga.

I'm mostly an introvert who likes long walks in the woods or work-outs in the gym -- but yoga is a horse of a different feather!

After I've done a nice session I feel the blood happily coursing and zinging through my body and all the muscles and joints feel relaxed and fluid. Hard to explain, but yoga does different things for me than my usual forms of "exercise."

I feel relaxed; at peace.

As yoga is non-competitive it feels "just right" to me. You go at your own pace. You don[t compare yourself to your neighbor. After you learn the postures, you can do yoga with your eyes closed -- I often do.

My favorite yoga instructor used to tell us, "You're only as youthful as your spine is flexible." My back issues have now disappeared.

My classes have very little mumbo-jumbo in them..just the Hindu/Indian names of the postures we're doing and a sweet guided meditation at the end of the class. I've been known to fall asleep during those -- so relaxed am I!
    peaceful, easy feeling

Another benefit of yoga is helping to un-do the "text neck" - all those hours of looking down at a phone is hurting our necks in the long run. Couple that with years of having shoulders hunched over computer keyboards and it's no wonder so many have neck/shoulder/back issues.
    Our instructor has us do a lot of side bend and back bend stretching, along with slow neck swivels and postures to open the chest area and gaze upwards.

I've wanted to try yoga for a while but didn't want to commit to a class. After seeing the infomercial for "Three Week Yoga Retreat" I bit the bullet and bought it and really enjoy it. I'm not flexible at all and have a permanent frozen shoulder so I'm a bit limited in certain poses (downward dog) but it's geared towards beginners. With that said, it is quite challenging but steadily progresses to maybe an advanced beginner stage. I usually do each "week" for 2-3 weeks before moving to the next stage. Without a teacher you really have to be mindful of doing each thing correctly, but I don't think I'd feel adequate with my limitations in a class.

I agree that it depends on the yoga style and the teacher. I would ask around - if there is an active Nextdoor group in your area, that could be a starting point.

Well I finally went to my first yoga class! I liked it enough that I'm planning to go again next week. I think it will take a few classes to really get a feel for it. This class is held at a church in easy walking distance from my house. It's $10 per session with no registration or commitment required. My sister cancelled out on me so I went by myself. I'm not much for getting outside my comfort zone, so I think it was good for me to do this.

One thing I've not quite understood about yoga is that you have to be in a class to do it. I'm far more relaxed at home and have used DVDs, books, and PBS to learn and then practice on my own. I especially like Priscilla Patrick who is on PBS daily here. I'm sure having personal live personal instruction is helpful but not required. Anymore there are bunches of podcasts and apps to help.

Thread Information