Thread: Favorite Christmas Cookie recipe?

Favorite Christmas Cookie recipe?

I want to make cookies to bring to a small support group that I belong to that will be meeting on the afternoon of Christmas Eve. I rarely make cookies and usually just the standard chocolate chip or raisin oatmeal, neither of which sounds appealing right now. I don't have anything that's a bit more festive or special.

Anyone have a favorite recipe they'd like to share?

Here is my mother's Christmas cookie recipe. It's a simple sugar cookie recipe, but I love it.

Makes a lot of dough--I'd cut it in half.

2 c shortening (yes, shortening. It's the one time of the year I'll ignore the transfat)
    3 c sugar
    4 eggs
    1/4 c milk
    4 tsp vanilla
    5 c sifted flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt

Mix shortening, sugar, eggs thoroughly. Stir in milk and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and stir into mixture until blended. Chill several hours. Then roll out dough to about a 1/4" 1/2" thickness. Use Christmas cookie cutters to make cookies. Transfer onto greased cookie sheet. Brush cookies with egg white wash and sprinkle colored sugars and sprinkles. Bake at 425 degrees until done.
    Remove from oven and cool on rack.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love the basic Spritz cookies-just the right size for snacking. lol. Recipes galore on the internet.
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I love Scottish shortbread-you can just pat into a pan, put a candied cherry on each one and you have a simple, decorated cookie. Internet recipes abound, but mine is from Betty Crocker circa 1970.

I'll be making decorated sugar cookies and happy gingerbread men. Of course, I had to buy cookie cutters as I have none. I'm looking forward to it. A few of the members of my group are late teens/young adults who come from two cities away to attend the group, often by bus which is a 1.5 hour trip each way. I'm thinking of making a little favor bag of cookies for each of them to take home as well.

We made these chocolate gingerbread cookies for the first time this year and they were really delicious.

An old family favorite is butter stars.. but they can be cut into any shape, of course. These have exceptional flavor and texture.