Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elderly dog question

TT....I'm not talking about just staying with them when they are euthanized......I mean staying with them until their body's choose to leave.

Cathy, I know your heart is in the right place but I find it cruel. We are kinder to animals than people.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Cathy, I know your heart is in the right place but I find it cruel. We are kinder to animals than people.
    Well, we’ll just have to have a philosophical difference about this.

I am okay with that. You are a good person.

Thanks TT.

Cathy, my previous dog was like the stray you took in to have euthanized. She had brain lesions that, towards the end, caused her to just circle and circle. Otherwise, she was healthy and would have lived quite a while. But she definitely was suffering and even an animal communicator I used said she was more than ready to leave her body but needed help. Some just can't die on their own and welcome being set free.

Animals are less attached to their bodies; when it's no longer useful to them, it's time to go. I think the dying process is more important to humans than animals. Euthanizing makes it much easier for them to go.

Glad your pup is doing better.

Thanks pony mom. I often think of that stray we took in, and wonder who she was before something happened to her. I'll bet she was a lovely dog. I hope no one dropped her off in the country here, because they didn't want to deal with her anymore.
    Interesting.....the only 2 times I saw her show any joy was when it snowed and she ran through it, and inside when DD was playing her french horn. She was a lot of work, but I loved her. Don't know what her "real" name was, but we named her Molly. Someone on here posted this poem for me. It's a lovely poem and speaks to many of us who have taken in strays. Thanks again pony mom.

A Light Lost

You were frightened, but you wanted to love.
    You distrusted, but there were moments when - almost - you would rest your head.
    You were always on guard, but you dreamed of learning to play.
    You knew no one would protect you, but there were thoughts, or memories, of having a friend.
    And we wanted to rescue you, to let you know you were safe.
    If we had stroked your lovely coat just one more time.....
    If we had run with you just a little faster, or more often, in the grass..... Then maybe you would have been able to believe.
    We will never know if we failed you, or if life had failed you too harshly before we met.
    We will not know if you heard us and couldn't answer, or if you had lost the power to hear before we spoke.
    We cannot know if you will forgive and wait for us at the Bridge, But we know that we will look for you.
    You, also, are one of ours -- and we loved you as best we could.

by Elizabeth Sommers

That’s beautiful. Thankfully the rescue dogs we had have learned to accept love over time.

Well, our dog had her ultrasound and I was pretty close with the possible diagnosis. I was thinking Cushings, but it's actually a tumor on top of the adrenal gland. She's making too much cortisol. The tumor is impinging on the vena cava, which could lead to some strokes, or a bleed out. But for now, we're putting her on a medication that will help her not need to drink and pee so much, and give her a little more energy.
    Have any of you had your dog on Trilostane? I have no idea how long she's had this tumor. She may have several more years, the vet said....But she's 15 and1/2 now, so we'll see.