Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What happened to create so many homeless?

I have looked up the stats and ours is increasing because of rents going so high and a rental shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Who in his right mind would lend money on the strength of a merger of two overleveraged entities burdened by such large State mandates? Is California offering some kind of guarantee?
    Aetna (recently acquired by CVS) "is helping to build a healthier world". Maybe Aetna would be interested in buying bonds in overleveraged hospitals as they consolidate. Heads, they win. Tails, the hospitals go through a financial reorganization and the bondholders become the new owners.

Speaking personally, I have never felt comfortable with the default risk associated with hospital bonds. Maybe I would consider buying one, if the bond was insured and it was rated investment grade. I do not believe California is making a guarantee …

I live in a small city of about 30,000. There is one homeless shelter in town. They average 200 people a year staying at the shelter and they are almost always full. They get a lot of families, both single-parent and intact families.

Here in New Hampshire, the winter cold and snow make shelter a necessity. Most of the surrounding towns have a shelter and the county runs a shelter in the winter. When one is full, police will transport people to another town with space in a shelter--all someone has to do is ask for a ride. Our city police station makes the lobby available for people to come in and get warm, and the local senior center has a warming shelter available during the day.

The shelter in a neighboring city has space for 100 single people a night. They were over capacity 84% of the time last year.

I have never seen someone who looks homeless here. Not the way I could easily identify many homeless when I lived in Boston. I think in smaller cities and towns like mine, it's a hidden problem. Until this posts, I hadn't given the subject much thought--out of sight, out of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Might some of the increase in the Dakotas be related to the rapid influx of oil and gas workers?

Might some of the increase in the Dakotas be related to the rapid influx of oil and gas workers?
    I drove through there several times in 2018, in the spring and summer, and in the fall of 2017, and I was amazed at the number of mobile homes, RVs, and other such things in clusters alongside the road, clearly looking like expedient/rapid housing for workers. I suspect those states' numbers are "odd" because the housing stock hasn't remotely caught up to the gold-rush demand.

I drove through there several times in 2018, in the spring and summer, and in the fall of 2017, and I was amazed at the number of mobile homes, RVs, and other such things in clusters alongside the road, clearly looking like expedient/rapid housing for workers. I suspect those states' numbers are "odd" because the housing stock hasn't remotely caught up to the gold-rush demand.

I think I mentioned a few years ago when I got my HAZMAT certifications, I received out-of-the-blue multiple job offers from companies in the region. They must have been desperate for a workforce.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I knew a guy who worked on the Alaska pipeline back in the day. He described scenes like that.