Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Grieving for our Country

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Original poster, here...

Does anyone else find it interesting that this thread has turned into commentary about stocks and investments?? Not a criticism at all, just an observation.

I do understand. I'm rather grieving for the new slenderness of our stock portfolio -- while my physical slenderness grows ever plumper during this holiday season of good and ample eating.
    peaceful, easy feeling

I think it started with worry about a recession, which I understand, but shrug. There's nothing anyone can do about that, it won't be primarily caused by Trump but by the business cycle which existed long before him (blame capitalism if one wants to blame), although he adds some volatility to things.

And meanwhile in this mythical, as a unicorn, "good economy" the people that I got to know in the unemployment support group (and it was an action focused group) that were unemployed almost 3 months ago when I got this position are STILL unemployed. Noone in that group is so marginal they should be unable to work, but some are really top tier (but perhaps over 50 which is probably fatal). It's bad out there, but who can worry that much about it getting worse, it's just one foot in front of the other forever amen.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Original poster, here...

Does anyone else find it interesting that this thread has turned into commentary about stocks and investments?? Not a criticism at all, just an observation.

I do understand. I'm rather grieving for the new slenderness of our stock portfolio -- while my physical slenderness grows ever plumper during this holiday season of good and ample eating.
    Yes, it is interesting. But not surprising. We equate wellness with wealth, unlike other countries that equate wellness with wellbeing of all of its citizens. That's why GDP is our marker of how well we are doing, but ignores other factors, such as access to healthcare and good education, community vitality, and ecological health. Our minds go straight to the bucks--even if those bucks are merely a symbol for the degree to which the environment has been raped for them, how few people have benefited from them, and the societal ills that they are supporting.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, it is interesting. But not surprising. We equate wellness with wealth, unlike other countries that equate wellness with wellbeing of all of its citizens. That's why GDP is our marker of how well we are doing, but ignores other factors, such as access to healthcare and good education, community vitality, and ecological health. Our minds go straight to the bucks--even if those bucks are merely a symbol for the degree to which the environment has been raped for them, how few people have benefited from them, and the societal ills that they are supporting.
    Well said, Catherine.

Greed is now a religion--no better than the old model in terms of cruelty and subjugation of the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Well said, Catherine.

Greed is now a religion--no better than the old model in terms of cruelty and subjugation of the masses.
    LOL, Prosperity gospel and the history of Churches and money, not withstanding, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    LOL, Prosperity gospel and the history of Churches and money, not withstanding, eh?
    Yes. Religion comes in different forms. My religious heroes are St. Francis, Dorothy Day, Thich Nhat Hanh, Buddha, Peace Pilgrim and many others of their ilk. Certainly not a greedy bone in any of their bodies. As soon as a religion becomes an institution, serving "mammon" is harder to avoid.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Personally, I think a bit of greed can be a good thing in that it spurs achievement. It's easy to accuse people of greed when you're after some of what they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Personally, I think a bit of greed can be a good thing in that it spurs achievement. It's easy to accuse people of greed when you're after some of what they've got.
    When I see an inordinately angry person I don't want to be like them. When I see a glutton, I don't want their food. Why is it that of all the 7 deadly sins, greed is the one that has become a virtue? In terms of motivation for achievement, a little healthy ambition is not greed. Ordinary, well-directed human desire is not greed.

That "greed is good" mentality is so 80s.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Well said, Catherine.

Jane, I agree with you that greed is a religion in America. J personally trace this back to the Reagan years and it's of course gotten much worse since then. But one cool thing? I have been running across people from time to time who completely reject this greed as religion concept and live their lives in such a way as to rebel to some degree against this national belief. There are some people out there awoken against living this way, something that gives me hope for the future. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Jane, I agree with you that greed is a religion in America. J personally trace this back to the Reagan years and it's of course gotten much worse since then. But one cool thing? I have been running across people from time to time who completely reject this greed as religion concept and live their lives in such a way as to rebel to some degree against this national belief. There are some people out there awoken against living this way, something that gives me hope for the future. Rob
    I hope so, and I tend to agree it started--or at least increased and was encouraged--by Reagan, who was in charge when "greed is good" emerged as a rallying cry for his base. I have hope the Millennials will reject such a dead-end philosophy, and reverse the laissez-faire capitalism that has gutted the commons and threatens to pauperize the rest of us.

Thread Information