Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Grieving for our Country

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The stock market this Christmas Eve has dropped over 400 points thus far and has breached the sub 22,000 level. I'm old enough to know what happens next in turbo charged capitalism, as are the rest of us, no? Hang on tight and I wish you and yours what stability you can possibly find/achieve in 2019. Rob
    With unemployment levels at record lows and interest rates still very low, what do those in the 85006 worry about? What do they know? I’ve been invested since the early 80’s and this is not the first time we’ve had a bear market.

What do you Suggest? I wish I would have rebalanced a little earlier, but I’m really not to concerned. I’m at a disadvantage as I’m no longer working and adding new money. But those that are will be able to buy at a cheaper price. I can only shift what I have around.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I'm old enough to know what happens next in turbo charged capitalism, as are the rest of us, no?
    No.

I don’t know what happens next. Maybe in general terms. Panic sellers will enrich the bolder and better capitalized. Beyond that, I have no macroeconomic crystal ball. That may confer certain advantages over people who think they do.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    But those that are will be able to buy at a cheaper price. I can only shift what I have around.
    I'm throwing in a few bucks at year-end.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm throwing in a few bucks at year-end.
    A lot of people went stock shopping today with their christmas money.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    A lot of people went stock shopping today with their christmas money.
    Well, looks like as usual, I missed the boat.

https://www.cnn.com/BUSINESS
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    He is ranty, which I'm not crazy about. But I think he's right about many things. I respect that he has seen the world and reported on it at large--he has volunteered to be in places that his journalist colleagues would have no part of, and now those for whom he worked won't give him press (purportedly because he is attempting to slay the dragon that is feeding not only the few news outlets that control most of the media in the US, but the culture at large.)

I am reading him not because I'm as pessimistic as he is but because I like the kind of guy who tries like hell to lead us out of Plato's cave.

I was attracted to him recently because he calls himself a Christian anarchist akin to Dorothy Day and Peter Maurin. But he is not a "Christian" in the sense that he's dogmatic about his beliefs--only insofar as he believes in the age-old spiritual directives (Christian/Jewish/Muslim/etc.) that we should feed the hungry and clothe the naked and above all beware of of our own hubris.
    i'm reading "America: The Farewell Tour" and its good but scary as hell. i have always known
    corporations were taking over our democracy, but never realized it was this bad! as the OP it is
    difficult to feel optimistic (unless you have your head buried in the sand of some ideology) but we
    have no choice but to Fight Back!!

I’m investing in some oil related stocks today. If nothing else If oil continues to drop at least fuel will be cheaper. If it goes up my stocks will be worth more. Just small amounts at this time, Next I’ll add to some of my dividend paying stocks. I’m pretty conservative in my investing these days, I’m even happy with my money market getting close to 3%.

i stay around 50/50 these days.

Williamsmith
    I try not to pay much attention to the market specifically as it tends to drive me nuts but I am craving a more behaved market....not one that appears to have anger management problems prone to throwing fits and tantrums. What I do have have invested is in growth but I’m fast getting tempted to readjust toward preservation. A local bank has CD’s that are paying 2.75% and I’m looking at that thinking that after all my management fees and assumption of risk....I might sleep better at night if I bought some pain old certificates of deposit.

To oversimplify, I think things have always been a combination of growth and decay, hope and despair. Many things ARE getting worse (environmental pollution, climate change, class/wealth/gender divisions and inequity, overpopulation, falling birth rate, lowered life expectancy, people living so they run out of money, etc.). On the other hand, we have more people around to solve problems--not just contribute to them. Billions have access to the internet, which offers a cornucopia of information, creativity, and inspiration (as well as its darker purposes).

People tend to look at what areas of life are near and dear to their hearts, so if there are "struggles" in those areas (e.g., I live in Las Vegas, where the local school system is, quite frankly, abysmal--so I have confirmation bias when I look at other problematic school districts across the country), we think the same is going on worldwide. It probably isn't--there are always the brightest of sparks, candles cursing the darkness, if you look hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I try not to pay much attention to the market specifically as it tends to drive me nuts but I am craving a more behaved market....not one that appears to have anger management problems prone to throwing fits and tantrums. What I do have have invested is in growth but I’m fast getting tempted to readjust toward preservation. A local bank has CD’s that are paying 2.75% and I’m looking at that thinking that after all my management fees and assumption of risk....I might sleep better at night if I bought some pain old certificates of deposit.
    ”anger management issues” defining the market makes me laugh!

We are in preservation mode, not growth mode. I was absolutely amazed to look up my 457 account a little more than a week ago and find that it was essentially the same as this time last year. Much of it is in an index fund the rest of it’s in a CD. I’m sure it is down by now though, a few days later.

Thread Information