Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grieving for our Country

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

Grieving for our Country

A confession:

I've had a hard time, in the last several years, to retain my usual optimism. It seems everything I believe in vis a vis, our nation, such as environmental protection, world affairs, safety nets and care for our not-wealthy in healthcare, education, housing and so on and so on, ad nauseum, is being enviserated.

Anyone else experiencing this blue feeling of a downward spiral? How do you deal with it? I'm trying to act locally and caring globally, but it seems a daunting task these days.

Are we witnessing the End of Western Civilization? Will it end with a whimper?
    Or a bang?

Am I being overly-concerned? How about you?
    peaceful, easy feeling

I am a new grandma and it really makes me think about their future so yes, I am a bit blue about things as they are now. I remain hopeful that perhaps some new leaders/voices will come out of the dark and turn things around.

Do you all have young adults in your life? It’s their world and while they have lots of concerns and worries about it, I think you’ll find that they have more optimism then we oldsters do.

That is true. DD and her little family are full of joy over their life as new parents and good fortune otherwise. Well-paid interesting jobs, good health, home ownership etc.

In 1940, ten years into the depression, I doubt there was much optimism. After Pearl Harbor I imagine there was even less. And after the end of WWII people expected a return of the depression. Instead our country entered a long period of widespread prosperity, growth and relative peace. Just five years earlier I seriously doubt anyone would have predicted it.

I'm very optimistic for the future. Sure, we have to get through the.current super nova end of 40+ years of growing conservative power but now that Trump has laid bare the fact that conservatism is no longer about any of its principles and is just about naked power grabs and grifting it's days are numbered. The dems ran some great candidates at all levels last month. If they can keep up the enthusiasm and remain focused on crafting policies and ideas that actually will benefit regular people instead of focusing on being angry the future will work out fine.

Yes my kids are more optimistic than me at this point. I sure hope things turn around in 2 years.

Yppej
    The economy is cyclical and when it goes down, which is already starting to happen, Trump and his cronies will be out.

Williamsmith
    Trump is withdrawing all troops from Syria. He plans to end the 17 year old war in Afghanistan. The military industrial complex is having a hissy fit. We are considering peace talks with the Taliban. We are no longer claiming to spread democracy by dropping bombs. This is what people expected Obama to do but he turned out to be as much of a warmonger as Hillary. You should be grieving for Democrats.....

Yppej
    The military industrial complex is alive, well, and selling weapons to thugs in Saudi Arabia because Trump can't say no to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Trump is withdrawing all troops from Syria. He plans to end the 17 year old war in Afghanistan. The military industrial complex is having a hissy fit. We are considering peace talks with the Taliban. We are no longer claiming to spread democracy by dropping bombs. This is what people expected Obama to do but he turned out to be as much of a warmonger as Hillary. You should be grieving for Democrats.....
    I'm sorry. What war began with Obama? I recall him carrying out the decisions of the Bush war. Please do inform..........

Thread Information