Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice I'm glad I ignored

I was also told I was stupid for working for the state because I could make more money in the private sector. Now some people are jealous of our small pensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I was also told I was stupid for working for the state because I could make more money in the private sector. Now some people are jealous of our small pensions.
    I think pension envy will become a bigger factor in the social/political environment as the population ages. We’ll probably see it emerge as an issue the first time one of the big underfunded public plans asks for a bailout.

You should get a mortgage for all you can an invest in this video game with me (and others).
    The game was interesting, the movie a hit, the tv show a bigger hit, but the movie studio eventually kaboshed the project and played around long enough that I think it effectively embezzled all the money.

Yes pension envy is real and people that worked 30 years do get much better ones. Thankfully ours is decently funded. One benefit to ours is that we can take it before traditional retirement age. Recently our state made numerous changes for new employees and I am glad it doesn’t effect me.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    To keep away from that bad boy the next street over.
    OMG I ignored that one too! 1978 and still with him

I am racking my brain to think of advice I was given that I ignored, I must have ignored all since I can not think of any really.

"It's as easy to fall in love with the president of the bank as it is with the cuspidor cleaner."

This was supposedly advice my grandfather gave my mother, who kindly passed it along to me.
    Needless to say, I wasn't interested in a bank president. Or getting married.

"You can always get a job with a degree in English."
    Maybe, but engineering would have probably been more useful; I should have ignored that one, but English was easy.

Have kids or you'll regret it. You don't know what you're missing. The last time I was asked when, we had been married 28 years and were 14y post vasectomy.

Instead, we went to school as much as we wanted, we were living debt free before age 50 with our city home and a mountain cabin (now 100% restored) for recreation and relaxation. I retired at 58 and life is good. Hubster is working because he loves it and wants to save more $ for some of his high-end ideas on retirement life. I have nieces/nephews who've had experiences they otherwise would not have had.

My HS contemporaries? Some are on 2nd or 3rd marriages with pre-teens. Some are raising their grandchildren. 50% are divorced at least once.

Yup, kids would have improved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Invest in the stock market.
    "Don't invest in the stock market, it's too risky."

85% of my ROTH retirement account is profit I've made in the stock market (tax free because it's a ROTH) Only 15% is money I actually earned by working.

I learned how to buy individual stocks and option spreads by investing small amounts I could afford to risk losing, and I'm glad I did, but for most people I recommend the Lazy Portfolios https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios Because most people either won't make the effort to learn how to invest properly or they'll panic during market downturns.

To me the riskiest investment is buying a house, but at least that risk is offset by having a place to live, unless you can't make the mortgage payments.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    To keep away from that bad boy the next street over.
    He's "good bad" but he's not evil!

That's Marlon Brando in The Wild One (1953) The song is (c) 1964.

Thread Information