Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Reckoning

2018 Reckoning

I have finished up our books for 2018. (we are unlikely to spend much more this year and we're all paid up for income).

We saved 66% of our income.

Our food costs are up just 21% from 2004.

Our housing costs (all in utilities/tax/insurance/maintenance) are nearly flat from last year.

Our property tax dropped for the cabin and rose for our primary home so broke even).

Living Debt free year 9

Yppej
    Awesome!

I am so impressed!

We spent at least 2X our income.

I have no idea how much we spent on food but it is a chit-ton.

We vought a house we didnt need, and continue to fund two others we dont need. None of them produce income.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I have finished up our books for 2018. (we are unlikely to spend much more this year and we're all paid up for income).

We saved 66% of our income.

Our food costs are up just 21% from 2004.

Our housing costs (all in utilities/tax/insurance/maintenance) are nearly flat from last year.

Our property tax dropped for the cabin and rose for our primary home so broke even).

Living Debt free year 9
    Well Done!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We spent at least 2X our income.

I have no idea how much we spent on food but it is a chit-ton.

We vought a house we didnt need, and continue to fund two others we dont need. None of them produce income.
    Hopefully the houses are appreciating assets.

I gave up tracking most of our expenses a few years ago. I’m sure we are spending more, but not by a large amount except for a few big ticket items that we expect from time to time.

It looks like this may be the first year in quite some time where our net worth may be a little lower than the beginning of the year. I knew I should have rebalanced a little sooner. But we are at the point that we are very comfortable and don’t worry to much about these little dips.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Hopefully the houses are appreciating assets.
    Ummm, I wouldn’t count on that. I have never made money on real estate, ever.

Maybe this time will be different. At least maybe for the Herman property. Probably no hope for the city stuff unfortunately.

DH and I did very well with our real estate. Our first new house cost $21,000 in 1967 and we sold it for $28,000 two years later.

One farm property we bought tripled in value in one year of owning it when we sold the property and lived in the house for 3 years at a minimal rent.

We almost always seemed to buy low and when job transfers took place, sold for double or more. In addition, the real estate, legal and moving expenses were paid by the employer. Unbelievable at the time and in retrospect.

Even our last property, our dream farm increased 40% between 2008 when we first considered selling according our our broker's quote and 2014 when I sold it after DH's passing. Farm properties had soared in price.

I bought my present little brand-new house when the market was low for houses and now it has gained about 25% or more since there is so little housing available and interest rates are low. Plus it is perfect for seniors being a one-floor, 3 BR model in a lovely neighbourhood with walkability. I won't be moving any time soon.

Having said all that, I am fully aware that if we had stayed in the same place, the story would have been very different. If you sell and buy in the same area, the cost would be similar per square foot plus add in the cost of moving and real estate and legal fees.

Thread Information