Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Something New

Trees don't grow on money

I believe I was a frustrated at-home-father when I first signed on to the old forum. I don't know exactly what year I started following, but I've been through a lot -- nothing terrible, but stressful times. At one point, we were over $100,000 in debt with our mortgage, loan for the new roof, student loan for my wife's career-changing attempt at massage school. I'm sure there's other things thrown in there. We've been plugging away at it, especially since I went back to work part time after twelve years of being an at-home-parent. With a little bit of inheritance thrown into the mix, we're debt-free except the mortgage, which is down to around $18,000. We should own the house free and clear sometime early next year.

I'm working part-time, and I love being able to get out of kid-and-house centric world and go to an adult-centered, college-centered world. I'm basically in charge of helping to arrange lecturers at a small liberal arts college, and I also shepherd faculty applications through. I love to communicate with the applicants, which, evidently is not something many job applicants experience. One person we rejected sent a long letter of praise saying that the way she was treated during the application process makes her want to work at our college all the more, so she's going to try again in a few years. Last Friday's lecture was on Aristotle and the U.S. Constitution. It was nice being able to talk about the Nicomachean Ethics with the lecturer. That doesn't happen much to me in my role of parent, so it's nice to have a part-time work role and still be able to be home for the kids and do all the cooking and keep the homeship on a frugal keel.

It's a much happier and calmer time, and I feel that I'm closer to the goals that seemed unreachable when I first joined the old forum.

pcooley, thanks for the update. Sounds like you guys have made GREAT progress on the financial front.

Nothing is new here, I have almost exactly the same life I had ten years ago. That's a completely good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    pcooley, thanks for the update. Sounds like you guys have made GREAT progress on the financial front.

Nothing is new here, I have almost exactly the same life I had ten years ago. That's a completely good thing.
    Ha Ha - ditto for me too. Why change perfection :-)! Liked hearing Paul's update (then vs. now), hope others' post theirs too.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalistgeneration View Post
    A choice that can be done by good minimalist is live without tv, the tv can be addictive, many times we come at home and turn on the tv automatically only for background noise to spend hours and hours to zap between channels. One of the first positive sides without tv is that we find ourselves with a free space in home and with less energetic waste. One of the fears is that you get bored without tv, but rather you gain free time to do many other things, rear a good book, go outside for a walk, to do a hobby , etc... Another positive side is the mental freedom from an object that makes us suffer the information in a passive way to a wealth of information and advertising that come into our homes and encourage us to buy products that don't even need and ongoing fake reality in which we are conform. http://www.minimalistgeneration.com
    As a fellow minimalist I share much of your feelings - and I agree that TV, as well as the internet, gaming, and other "sitting-on-your-butt-in-front-of-a-screen" activities can be a time suck that is addictive. However I think that there are ways to limit usage rather than doing away with it. For instance I don't have home internet (way way WAY more addictive to me than TV) yet I can use the free library computers or use my laptop at free wi-fi spots. That limits my time online yet doesn't leave me out in Luddite-ville with no way to connect. I found using an antenna rather than cable also limits my desire to watch TV. I'll watch an hour or less, turn it off and go outside to play. Now my biggest "screen" addiction would be games (I have stayed up days playing non-stop before) so I completely ban them from my life except occasionally with friends who have an X-Box or similair at their home but will never have gaming capabilities at my own home.

I was so excited to see Kib back.......but then realized her post was a couple years old. Anyone know how she's doing?

How do I add a photo?

Onyons, there are a couple of ways.

If you have the photo on your own Web site, you can link to it using an [IMG] tag. The easiest way is to click on the icon over the new-message area that looks like a glove with some chain links. Then type in the appropriate reference from your Web site (for example, ).

If you don't have the picture already on a site, you can use a site like tinypic.com to upload a picture from your computer and create that [IMG] string you need. Keep in mind, however, that sites like that won't hold your picture forever. For a few months on this board, however, it should be long enough.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I use Photobucket to upload photos. They do store them for a long time.

Hi Folks!
    I'm pretty much a newbie here. I've mostly lurked in the past but have not been on in about 2 years. I'm hoping to get back to the simple life! I'm currently in Minnesota, but moving to the San Joaquin Valley area next month..............kathryn

Thread Information