Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Something New

Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Hi Folks!
    I'm pretty much a newbie here. I've mostly lurked in the past but have not been on in about 2 years. I'm hoping to get back to the simple life! I'm currently in Minnesota, but moving to the San Joaquin Valley area next month..............kathryn
    Great to see you posting, kathryn. That's a big move you're making, you'll have to tell us how it goes.

Welcome, kathryn, from another Minnesotan.

Moving to California ... did this winter do you in?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks and lol.....this winter has sucked!! As much as I've hated this winter, it didn't play a role in my moving. I am moving in with my girlfriend that happens to live there. I'll miss parts of the midwest, but there's a chance we will be back in a few years so while I'm there I'm going to enjoy myself!! :-)

Hello: I am new as well. My name is Cate and I live in Virginia. I teach school. I have a cat and dog and am interested in living simply. Although I can be very frugal, I have found that when I do start spending it's so easy to just keep going--especially with clothes! I try to "just say no" to spending much of the time. My mantra is "do I really need this?" Usually, the answer is "no" and I put it back. I hope to get some helpful tips for being frugal and saving money. I want to pay my mortgage off so I can retire early but it's difficult bc my school division does NOT want to pay us a decent salary (I live in the South.) But that doesn't mean the situation is hopeless! I also look forward to figuring out how to start a new paragraph as it appears that hitting "enter" doesn't do it.

Hello, Cate! Lots of tips here on living frugally and simply.

The new-paragraph problem: are you using Internet Explorer for a Web browser? I seem to recall (dimly; I'm primarily a Mac user and didn't use IE when I used Windows) recall that there is some setting/compatibility issue with IE and the forum software here. Perhaps someone else will chime in with the fix.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve is correct. There has been an on-going problem with Internet Explorer since version 7 (I believe). I've had this problem myself using versions 8, 9, 10 and now 11. Other browsers such as Chrome, Firefox or Safari work properly.

The fix in IE is to activate Compatibility View. The following link will instruct you on how to do so. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...-view#ie=ie-11
    Please note that the instructions may change depending upon your IE version. Choose the appropriate version from the dropdown in the upper right corner of the page.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks, Alan.

Alan & Steve: Thanks for the idea. When I get around to it I'm going to download 8.1 because I absolutely HATE Windows 8 and have been suffering with it for a year. Hopefully that will work otherwise I will attempt your link. I am a techno-disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by onlinemoniker View Post
    Alan & Steve: Thanks for the idea. When I get around to it I'm going to download 8.1 because I absolutely HATE Windows 8 and have been suffering with it for a year. Hopefully that will work otherwise I will attempt your link. I am a techno-disaster.
    Hi onlinemoniker, I'm sorry to tell you that whether you're using Windows 8 or 8.1, the problem will remain if you use Internet Explorer as your browser. I think you'll find that the only fix with IE is to activate Compatibility View. Personally, I'd download and install Chrome.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I was afraid you'd say that. I guess I'll try the fix as I really am not fond of Chrome. Problem is I know I've only got the tech skills for about a 50:50 chance of making it work. This COULD be a good opportunity for brevity of expression, though...

Thread Information