Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Something New

Firefox works, too -- though it does not solve your tech-issue problem as it, like Chrome, will be a third-party browser. But Chrome and Firefox are free -- you can download either (or both, if so inclined) and try an install. Just accepting the default installation options should result in a usable browser. And if one of them works for you, great! If not, you're no further behind than you are now.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Hi! I'm new and very happy to be here. I don't know if this is common knowledge here, or if it doesn't qualify as simplification, but since we retired to TN, I've become an avid user of the digital library. It seems like the county libraries in TN, AZ, GA and a couple of other states have some form of digital library. I download ebooks and audiobooks with my laptop, and have the capability of transferring those to an ereader or listening device. I can't say enough about how happy I am with this arrangement! There's no hard copy to lose or damage, no late fees since whatever you have borrowed simply expires and disappears (in some cases, you have to manually delete it from peripheral devices), you save on fuel and wear-and-tear on your vehicle, and the software even makes suggestions based upon the past choices listed on your account. Not certain if this is the appropriate forum for this, but I have this flaw (dive in and flounder around is my motto). Anyway, you can access the digital library as long as you have a membership at your local library in TN and AZ. I've learned some valuable information by lurking here these past few days, so I hope that someone will benefit from this.

Ice, just started using the library's digital services and you are right about the efficiency of the downloads. Glad that you joined us and please keep sharing.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thank you, razz! (Just figured out the little green arrow *giggle*).

Welcome aboard!

I've long preferred to read on my laptop rather than paper (for lots of reasons), so being able to get rid of the expense of books and periodicals by borrowing them from the library is right up my alley.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm very happy to hear you! Our heirs would not value what we do, so it's pointless to accumulate things for them. The laptop doesn't require any light to read by, so it's just great. Thanks, Steve!

Icecrystal welcome aboard, Where are you from? The Library can be handy for not spending money. I still like reading a book instead of a digital version.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    As a fellow minimalist I share much of your feelings - and I agree that TV, as well as the internet, gaming, and other "sitting-on-your-butt-in-front-of-a-screen" activities can be a time suck that is addictive. However I think that there are ways to limit usage rather than doing away with it. For instance I don't have home internet (way way WAY more addictive to me than TV) yet I can use the free library computers or use my laptop at free wi-fi spots. That limits my time online yet doesn't leave me out in Luddite-ville with no way to connect. I found using an antenna rather than cable also limits my desire to watch TV. I'll watch an hour or less, turn it off and go outside to play. Now my biggest "screen" addiction would be games (I have stayed up days playing non-stop before) so I completely ban them from my life except occasionally with friends who have an X-Box or similair at their home but will never have gaming capabilities at my own home.
    Oh man I completely agree!! The internet for me is a huge weakness and it's hard for me to just be on for a few minutes and then go about my day. I got rid of my computer and now just have a kindle fire, but I still spend way to much time on it. I am making progress though, getting outside a lot more and just doing more book reading. Thank you for your honesty because I have pretty much the same addiction and it sucks.

Hello everyone I am brand new here! Found this forum yesterday and liked what I was reading, so figured I would join. Little bit about me, I am 28 yrs old and got out of the military a few years ago so I have been going to college since then off and on, but recently decided it wasn't for me so I dropped out and now I am going to a nine month wilderness survival course in Duvall, Washington. I do not own a car, or a house or apartment. I rent a room from a friend near Philadelphia. I am living on $400 for 4 months after I paid rent, and I am having to change my eating habits because of that. The goal is transitioning to where I won't need money I will live money free. Once I go through this school I will be even closer to my goal. My name is Jonathan Walliser and good to meet you all

Quote Originally Posted by JWtravels View Post
    ...Hello everyone I am brand new here! Found this forum yesterday and liked what I was reading, so figured I would join. Little bit about me, I am 28 yrs old and got out of the military a few years ago so I have been going to college since then off and on, but recently decided it wasn't for me so I dropped out and now I am going to a nine month wilderness survival course in Duvall, Washington. I do not own a car, or a house or apartment. I rent a room from a friend near Philadelphia. I am living on $400 for 4 months after I paid rent, and I am having to change my eating habits because of that. The goal is transitioning to where I won't need money I will live money free. Once I go through this school I will be even closer to my goal. My name is Jonathan Walliser and good to meet you all
    Hi a nd welcome, Jonathan! Interesting adventure that you are on, keep us posted!

Welcome Here! I look forward to hearing of your adventures!

Thread Information