Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Syria

Syria

So no one has any thought about pulling out of Syria? Can Turkey finish up? Should we really care? Or if it’s Trumps idea it is just automatically bad.

As a Canadian, i believe Turkey will destroy the Kurds who fought against ISIS. Turkey is already moving into the area of Syria that Kurds cleared of ISIS. Tragic.

I am adding an article from today's Christian Science Monitor showing the different perceptions of the situation.
    https://www.csmonitor.com/Daily/2018...224&id=1081283
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

No it may be one of the few things that I don’t mind. I am sick of our young people dying in wars all around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    As a Canadian, i believe Turkey will destroy the Kurds who fought against ISIS. Turkey is already moving into the area of Syria that Kurds cleared of ISIS. Tragic.

I am adding an article from today's Christian Science Monitor showing the different perceptions of the situation.
    https://www.csmonitor.com/Daily/2018...224&id=1081283
    Is there anything stopping Canada from sending in troops to fill the void? According to the article it’s only 2000 troops.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Is there anything stopping Canada from sending in troops to fill the void? According to the article it’s only 2000 troops.
    Are you aware that we are in Mali providing needed support and protection? Canada has had and has now soldiers where others do not. Also, remember that our population is 10% of the US population and has much, much less of its resources especially the military. It is not just 2,000 troops but all the support that they require and give. You know that.
    You asked for thoughts about the Syrian situation.

I just think the US needs to bring back most of its military. There is no reason we need to be the worlds policeman. We can no longer afford it, and it’s not like we can win over the Middle East.

Every action usually has unintended consequences. What do you see as the potential unintended consequences of the withdrawal of 2,000?

Source: military around the world
    https://www.globalfirepower.com/acti...y-manpower.asp

1 National Flag Graphic 2,183,000 China
    2 National Flag Graphic 1,362,500 India
    3 National Flag Graphic 1,281,900 United States
    4 National Flag Graphic 1,013,628 Russia
    5 National Flag Graphic 945,000 North Korea
    6 National Flag Graphic 637,000 Pakistan

How will military personnel find employment when the military operations are reduced? What will the impact be for the US, its economy and its role?

The money would be better spent here, or used to reduce the debt. If we reduced the military spending those service members could work here rebuilding roads, bridges, etc. They could work on border protection. The unemployment rate is low, I’m sure many could be absorbed. If nothing else it would be cheaper to pay them here in the states than have them abroad. And much safer for them.

Would it be the end of the world for the US to cut back 10-20% ?

According to the web sight you posted our military is 20 times the size of Canada’s. If you have 10% of our population ,to be on par you should double yours.

I think we we need to stop spending so much and expect other country’s to pick up their numbers if needed.

To be sure, the US has long had involvement in the Middle East because of oil. I tend to agree with doc that we shouldn't be the world's policeman. But if we're going to stop our involvement in the Mideast we'd better spend that military money on fast tracking clean energy solutions here at home.

Thread Information