Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

Hi All,

I'm a teacher who is on a reduced schedule for about four months a year, mid-December through mid-February and mid-June through mid-August. I also have a REALLY cluttered home. In the past, I've had some success with setting myself a goal of doing a certain number of hours of decluttering during my periods of reduced work. I set one overall goal (last winter and summer, it was 40 hours), then chip away at it in smaller increments of time. Some days I aim for an hour; others for four hours (with breaks!). I basically use flylady's timer method described here, but with longer periods of time than 15 minutes:

http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-sta...ng-15-minutes/

It's also helped me a lot to keep track of progress towards my goal here, so here I am setting up a new goal: to complete another 40 hours of decluttering in my house by Tuesday, February 19.

If anybody else wants to join in with a decluttering goal of their own for a certain number of hours, I would love company!

I will try! Do we post here with hours and/or what we get rid of?

Ok, i’ll Jump back in.

i got dh three months of trash service for Christmas. The goal is to clean out the studio barn by the end of March so that he can install a car lift. I plan to spend one morning a week on the project - probably Thursdays so that the trash can(s) can go straight up and save me from second guessing (although the first week will be mostly low hanging fruit - everything plastic that has been broken in the last two years and I have been nursing along because it can’t be recycled and is too big the throw in the grocery store can, plus plastic scrap/packaging from construction.)

Welcome, Tybee and Chicken Lady!

Tybee, I usually post just my hours here and post my monthly totals of what I'm getting rid of in the purge thread that somebody else usually gets started. Even though last year I did two stretches of 40 hours (!!), I realized I didn't have such a high purge count because I was mostly getting rid of paper which I don't count. In any case, use this thread however it's helpful to you!

Chicken Lady, yay to cleaning out the studio barn!

I did my first hour yesterday, but am leaving tomorrow for a week back east visiting family so it will be January before I make much more progress.

1.5 hours so far, divided between purging knitting patterns and old tax materials. All paper so far.

Good for you, Tybee!

I'd like to be in on this!

DH and I cleaned out a sideboard.

Time invested: 30 minutes.

Results: 3/4 of a 13 gallon garbage bag to throw out; a pile of old dog items to give away; cables/cords culled and organized.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

plus 3 hours, total 4.5

Fabric stash inventoried and a third out, 2 more boxes in basement gone and reduced, storage dresser emptied and repacked. Large box ready for Goodwill.
    Need to be a whole lot more ruthless getting rid of thing.

Catherine, that is superefficient--I need to up my game or I will just be sorting this stuff forever. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    plus 3 hours, total 4.5

Catherine, that is superefficient--I need to up my game or I will just be sorting this stuff forever. . .
    I think you're doing great! I think it helped that DH and I were working together.

Before New Year's I'm going to "Kondo" my clothes--yikes! But if I call the Vietnam Vets before New Year's I'll have a nice tax deduction.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I sort of Kondoed the fabric and it really helped, as I can now see my way to three separate quilts I want to make and just keeping a few scraps for doll clothes. Problem is I know I have more somewhere. I can see why you have to get the whole universe of it together, but I have boxes in shed . . .

Thread Information