Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

Catherine, that is a lot of papers for 30 minutes! Nice job!

Another 30 minutes, another banker's box of documents!

TOTAL: 2hrs. 30 min.

BONUS: Organized a desk file drawer in the process.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow, all of you are so inspiring!

I got back into town Thursday night but have had SO much trouble getting started again. So I just took one little baby step tonight: 30 minutes on the clutter on the bed in the guestroom, one of my "hot spots."

1.5 hours total so far.

So, I did another 30 minutes of physical clutter--I got rid of about 16 tablecloths! Half thrown out, half good enough for Goodwill.

Not sure if this counts, but I also spent an hour decluttering my Outlook inbox, which had 5000 emails!!! Ridiculous. I cut it down by half.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, I did another 30 minutes of physical clutter--I got rid of about 16 tablecloths! Half thrown out, half good enough for Goodwill.

Not sure if this counts, but I also spent an hour decluttering my Outlook inbox, which had 5000 emails!!! Ridiculous. I cut it down by half.
    Yes it counts. Honestly though, I would delete every email older than 6 weeks to start with. It's highly unlikely you need it at this point.

I can't stand it if my inbox hits 50 even at work. I cannot imagine 5000.

Catherine, anything made of fabric is good enough for goodwill - they recycle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Catherine, anything made of fabric is good enough for goodwill - they recycle it.
    Thank you for letting me know. I hated to throw out linen tablecloths just because they had a stain or two--which is why I kept them so long!

Edited to add: just did one more hour tidying and purging my permaculture shelf. I threw out old seeds and culled old articles, brochures and other materials that were relevant in 2012 when I took my permaculture class but no longer are. Also went through a few Mother Earth magazines and pulled out the few articles that will be a good resource in the future. Recycling the rest.

60 minutes

TOTAL: 4 hours.
    Last edited by catherine; 1-6-19 at 11:46am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Catherine, do you get pleasure out of decluttering? I do! Once I attack an area to clean out, I focus on it and just pitch away! I am like TTerry, I measure cleanouts in bigger terms than item by item.
    I’m with IL. I love decluttering. I went at it today and got rid of a LOT.

I did my kitchen today. I decided I only need so many of the same thing. So now I have 4 frying pans instead of 7, etc. Will drop off the boxes tomorrow. Catherine, the woman that wrote the book has a blog called- A slob comes clean. I am enjoying it.

I started reading the blog. I like it. I also like how she started out with just a couple of things and then added. My first reaction was “that’s it? She hardly did anything!” And then I thought “and eventually she wrote a book...”

i also like the “put it where it goes right now” approach to avoiding piles. It would definitely slow me down (and I think I would have to modify it - i’m Not going to walk all the way out to the studio barn every time I find something that goes there unless i’m Sure I won’t find another thing in a minute - it might be good exercise, but it would slow me down too much.) but I do like the idea that if you do that, when you stop, you are done - just pick up the trash bag and the donate box and walk away. I wouldn’t even have a trash bag, because there would be a trash can closer than many of the locations that the non- trash items go, and most of the stuff at this point is non-trash.

Thread Information