Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    You know yourself best. Sounds like for you, the key is to keep going as you have committed to here.
    I think so, Gardnr.

2.5 more hours today. I'm realizing I won't make 40 hours by February 19 because I've been a little behind and then I have to go out of town next week. But I'm hoping I can get 25 hours completed before my trip and then possibly get all 40 completed by the end of February. We'll see.

New total: 16 hours.

It took me 4 hours to finish. Most of that was cleaning because it has been to cluttered to clean in 7 years. It looks as good as it can with keeping his junk in file cabinets. He has 3 desks in there so every inch of wall space has a piece of furniture. My class started back up last week so I need to grade. I finished reading both books written by a slob comes clean. She has a technique that works for people that struggle. I like how nonjudgmental she is.

DH brought down from our attic a large box of curtains. They were custom made 32 years ago. I didnt even know we had moved them to this house the house we have had for 30 years. Haha, poor DH, he gets the blame for a lot of clutter but who is responsible for this outsize box? ME!

People with attics or basements tend to do that)

Teacher Terry, congrats on finishing!

Iris Lillies, I totally get it. I can't believe some of the things I've discovered I've held on to!

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    Teacher Terry, congrats on finishing!

Iris Lillies, I totally get it. I can't believe some of the things I've discovered I've held on to!
    one excuse is that we lived with our belongings packed up for more than a decade while we rehabbed this house
    Plaster dust everywhere, and etc. No point in putting up final decor, it all would have been ruined or in need of constant dusting.

Because we have moved a lot it kept us from building up a ton of stuff. In Wisconsin we lived in a big house with a basement for 14 years. There were 5 of us. So quite a job to get rid of stuff when we moved to Kansas for my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

in General, over time, the more decisions I make, the easier it gets. And when you peel a layer back, the next layer becomes the “easy” layer
    This is how it works for me.

On Saturday, I looked at one area that is a big source of shame for me: about 10-12 bags in a corner of my bedroom containing clothes and household items (shower curtains, etc.) I bought, decided against, and never got around to returning. On Saturday, they were just too overwhelming for me to contemplate (Should I take them to the thrift store? See if I can still return any of them?). I just felt so guilty about letting them sit there for so long and about the money wasted if I can't return them now.

Well, today, after focusing on easier stuff over the weekend, I started to face them. Good news: I found out I can still return three skirts that arrived 18 months ago (!!! so embarrassing to admit this publicly !!!) - that's a refund of almost $200! I also found I can still get store credit for most of the other things. So I packed them up and they are ready to be mailed tomorrow.

I mostly just got to the clothes - still have to face some of the household items - but it's a start.

So that was two hours today. New total: 18.

Echase, that’s awesome that you can still return that stuff. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Echase, that’s awesome that you can still return that stuff. Awesome!
    Aw, thanks for the encouragement. So nice to have a cheering squad here.

I thought I was done for the day, but then I found another box of paper in my bedroom, and in the course of trying to figure out if it was just all recycling or not, I ended up going through it (not all recycling - but most). One more half hour. New total: 18.5.

Thread Information