Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Dec 2018 - Feb. 2019

Yay Catherine! Don’t you love it when those horrible hanging over your head things turn out to be not so bad?

Yay also Tybee and ejchase! I had my browser open to an earlier page the first time I posted, and I didn’t realize until now that I missed you. Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'll round it off and say 30 minutes, but it was really less than that, on finally purging a corner of the bedroom where I had stacked two nice roman blinds that needed to be installed. It was one of those chores that looked like it might be complicated, but when I read the instructions, and found a Phillips head screwdriver, it took me less than 20 minutes to clear that corner, install the new blinds, throw out all the nasty, dusty cheap vinyl slat blinds that have been piling up under the bed (I'd replace one and then say, "Oh, maybe the old one can be cleaned and re-used").
    Not to slow you down but the vinyl slats are wonderful for cutting into 4" pieces and labeling with a pencil garden plants or those potted for sale. Just saying that someone may use them for this purpose.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Not to slow you down but the vinyl slats are wonderful for cutting into 4" pieces and labeling with a pencil garden plants or those potted for sale. Just saying that someone may use them for this purpose.
    That is a cool idea! worth grabbing one at habitat come spring, just for that purpose.

plus .5 hour today when cleaning out an armoire and found a box of --you guessed it--pictures.

This after returning the extra album I bought for this contingency. and sending duplicates to all three sons and declaring the early years finished.

Some are duplicates but many are not--it's a metal box the size of a shoebox.

My husband said, "just burn them," and I said no way--some wonderful pictures in there. Will need to buy one or two more albums and rearrange the ones we have--it's basically 1990-2002, so at least we know what albums they belong in.

Plus 2 hours figuring out why my two computers not working and got both of them printing--upgraded the operating system on one and had to get a new Word for the other--but now they both work.

Since one was lying in a bag as clutter, I am going to count this as decluttering, if only massive frustration.

(new total 25.5)

Tybee - I'm in the same boat as you with pics. My mom passed away in August 2017. I spent last winter going through many, many photo albums and envelopes full of pics. I sorted out stuff for my brother and me and kept a large container of her and my father's pics from pre-marriage. The rest I took to a family reunion last summer and said I'm not bringing them back home! I'm going to a scrapbooking weekend this weekend and I plan on spending it sorting again. I know I have lots of duplicates. I want to cull things down and get them organized chronologically (both my childhood and then my folks' pics). I'll do very simple albums and just try to get them labeled and add the stories that I know.
    Last edited by beckyliz; 1-29-19 at 11:35am.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Tybee - I'm in the same boat as you with pics. My mom passed away in August 2017. I spent last winter going through many, many photo albums and envelopes full of pics. I sorted out stuff for me and my brother and kept a large container of her and my father's pics from pre-marriage. The rest I took to a family reunion last summer and said I'm not bringing them back home! I'm going to a scrapbooking weekend this weekend and I plan on spending it sorting again. I know I have lots of duplicates. I want to cull things down and get them organized chronologically (both my childhood and then my folks' pics). I'll do very simple albums and just try to get them labeled and add the stories that I know.
    I definitely have scaled down how I want the albums to be. Now that I have this new box, I will go through the albums they would have gone in, chronologically, and look for duplicates again. It is helping me to do this in stages--I have decided not to do anymore of my parents' pictures and their parents' pictures until they pass away; it is just too intense right now, I also do not want to do an intensive sweep of their house and find more pictures and have to redo it.

On the positive side, I now have a current day album and am labeling everything and putting little notes in as we put the pictures in, so we are good to proceed--no more 20-year backlog of photos of my own family.

Great idea to take the pictures to a family reunion--maybe I do the same when one passes, so folks can start taking these pictures for their own memories.

I am so sorry for the loss of your mom.

plus 2.5 hours, new total 28

Sorted more of the newly found pics and found space in two albums, as well as started extra pages for new albums. Grouping pics by activity--kids in baseball, kids on horseback, birthday parties, trips to Grandparents for Christmas.

Spent half the time sorting files on my computing and transferring to newly resurrected computer.

I eked out another hour today, so my new total is 5.

I am definitely still scratching the surface, but at least I've begun.

It's very inspiring to hear about all the progress the rest of you are making!

Little by little ejchase, you will get there...

tybee, you are doing great!

things I accomplished by 9(30ish)
    vitamin
    coffee
    dh breakfast
    pack dh lunch
    restart fire and keep it going
    chores - including the added joy of relocating a skunk who died in my pasture far too close to my barn
    Refill wood box
    compost out
    made rice pudding for my breakfast (ate it) with extra for later
    cleaned up living areas
    emptied dishwasher, reloaded, and started
    took down dry hanging (inside) laundry
    packed my swim bag
    hung up wet laundry
    put a load of dry laundry away
    washed a load of laundry and put it in the dryer
    started another load and discovered my washer is broken (will only fill, agitate, and drain on “regular” setting) - used “extra rinse” and “extra spin” settings to finish load
    sent an important e-mail

I will have one or two cans of trash to go up this week. I am going to try to get out to the studio again, but I have a bunch of other stuff to do. Early morning took all my insulation though, so I have a 3.5 “can” credit and an empty corner in my garage!

I did 2.5 hours today. New total: 7.5.

plus 2 hours, purchased two new albums, all the new box of pictures is now inserted into correct albums, and filled the other two albums. Total 30 hours.

I need another big project to motivate me to finish.

Thread Information